Chevy Cobalt Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I bought the '08 and drove it home I thought it was a little noisy. It needed two rear tires so I matched the new ones up with what was on the front. They were available because they were Pep Boys Starfire cheapolas. After mounting them the road drone was even worse. That makes me think the tires are at fault. It only appears over 50 mph and gets worse the faster you go. If you open a window it goes away. My '05 has Tiger Paws tires and also has a slight drone but nothing like the '08. The Tiger paws have a 700 tread wear rating making them a pretty hard compound. The Starfires have a 400 tread wear rating. You would think the softer compound tire would make less noise. The only test I can make is to put my set of winter-only Blizzak tires on and see if the sound goes away. These are extremely soft and quiet tires. I don't want to do that while it is still 80° out. I was wondering if this is a common thing on these Cobalts?

·
Registered
661 Posts
OSU. Common problem with all autos. Up brand tires spend mega bucks maximizing traction while minimizing road noise. And the motherhood statement
bigger tires > bigger contact patch>more road surface noise potential. Tread design will make a great impact on road noise.
While MichSlims worked great on my TownCar and would love to try a little set. I can’t fail The 15” Toyos on the BC. running normally around 45psi and as low as 38psi.
Then again, YMMV!
PS just acquired a RadioShack sound meter,. Planning on adding a bit on dampener in the door panels and rear sid panels.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts