Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
4,647 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright so this is the only complain ill have about my balt. When I'm driving down the freeway at higher speeds (80+), my car likes to sway between the lines of the lane I'm in. This scares me because I don't want to somehow catch a big wind and crash. My question is what would cause that and fix it? I'm thinking either wider wheels or sway bars. Anyone have some input on this? Thanks

·
Registered
43 Posts
I had the same problem when i bought mine and I changed a lot of things in the direction, but it appears to be a shock, the guys from chevrolet didn't even noticed it, I found it when I changed my tire. If it's your problem your shock will be all covered of oil.

·
Say What again!
6,000 Posts
It's a taller car with flat sides - it works great as a sail.

Somebody exhaling on the side of the road at that speed will cause the car to flip, be glad that hasn't happened yet! :laugh:

But really - and amount of wind will be felt. Lowering helps reduce this, along with the suspension, as mentioned.

·
Say What again!
6,000 Posts
Which FE5 parts to start with? Control arms?
Struts and Shocks. Then Sway bar. Control arms aren't totally necessary and are very hard to find for cheap. I got lucky with mine, if you can find a set for cheap, get em.

Get '08+ SS/TC struts/shocks, '05-'07 SS/SC swaybar (it's bigger than the TC's) and '05-'07 SS/SC control arms - TC control arms won't fit.

·
Say What again!
6,000 Posts
From what I know, the '08 SS/TC steering knuckle attaches to the control arm differently than '05-'07 FE5 and all year FE1/FE3.

·
Say What again!
6,000 Posts
From what I've read everywhere it is...

---------- Post added at 04:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:40 PM ----------

And from what it says on some ebay listings for '08+ SS LCAs...

"- These will not fit 05-07 without changing the wheel knuckles also"

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
The reason the non SS models are blown around by the wind is a combination of the softer suspension, lack of anti-body roll enhancements (Such as the beefier sway bars), and also the fact that the lower trims have a high center of gravity (The G5 always felt like driving a small truck, to me).

The SS models are usually an inch or two lower, so the effect on the car is not as apparent due to the lower center of gravity.

The Base/LS/LT/LTZ suspension (FE1) is mainly meant for general users, hence why the suspension is soft. It is meant for comfort, not performance.

·
Registered
703 Posts
The reason the non SS models are blown around by the wind is a combination of the softer suspension, lack of anti-body roll enhancements (Such as the beefier sway bars), and also the fact that the lower trims have a high center of gravity (The G5 always felt like driving a small truck, to me).

The SS models are usually an inch or two lower, so the effect on the car is not as apparent due to the lower center of gravity.

The Base/LS/LT/LTZ suspension (FE1) is mainly meant for general users, hence why the suspension is soft. It is meant for comfort, not performance.
I don't even have that. My LT has a very rough ride.

·
Say What again!
6,000 Posts
What they say is true, you need to exchange them for the pre-08 arms.
After you install them let us know in this thread if you notice a difference. I am thinking of doing the same. Thanks
They weigh a LOT less, and from what I recall, have a bit higher camber.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.