Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
702.2 miles on a single tank of gas!

I have been resetting my avg mpg meter every morning through this tank of gas and averaging those 10 figures gave me 60.07 mpg.
Thats only 0.8% above the 59.56 mpg that my tank math came out to. I'm pretty impressed for it to be accurate to within less then 1%.

But my tank distance isn't the only record I broke. Old record being 608 miles.

Highest round trip mpg was 58.7 mpg but I blew that out of the water tonight with 65.1 mpg.
Highest trip to work was 61.4 mpg and I beat that yesterday with 65.9 mpg and then blew that away this morning with 70.3 mpg.
As well as beating my highest mpg for a tank of gas. My long standing record of 53.8 mpg was set on 4/26/10 and has been destroyed by my 59.56 mpg tank.

·
Registered
311 Posts

I have been resetting my avg mpg meter every morning through this tank of gas and averaging those 10 figures gave me 60.07 mpg.
Thats only 0.8% above the 59.56 mpg that my tank math came out to. I'm pretty impressed for it to be accurate to within less then 1%.

Highest round trip mpg was 58.7 mpg but I blew that out of the water tonight with 65.1 mpg.
Highest trip to work was 61.4 mpg and I beat that yesterday with 65.9 mpg and then blew that away this morning with 70.3 mpg.
As well as beating my highest mpg for a tank of gas. My long standing record of 53.8 mpg was set on 4/26/10 and has been destroyed by my 59.56 mpg tank.
I've resisted resetting the MPG meter in order to easily maintain the fuel consumption history.

You may have considered the same thing at some point.

·
Registered
252 Posts

You can't average mpg figures like that... If you drive 10 miles at 50 mpg and 60 miles at 30 mpg, your avg mpg isn't 40. You're only close because you're driving the same distance each day.

·
Say What again!
6,013 Posts
Jesus christ. Do you go 50 mph everywhere and run red lights to do this?

We have 70 mph speed limits here, and I do not like to go less than the speed limit, so there's no such thing as 60mpg possible from me, haha. Congrats though, that's a hell of a feat. Do you make fun of Prius owners for getting shittier gas mileage and paying too much for a junk car to do that?

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
That does not sound right. I think maybe in the low 40mpg would be the ideal number. That would get you about 400-500miles per tank, in which is very good. I never trust the info system to begin with.

You have a lot of factors to deal with. Air/Fuel ratio, tire pressure, wind speed, wind resistance, speed, drag factor, and drafting.

·
Say What again!
6,013 Posts
Yeah, are you going by the in-dash fuel economy thing? Because I never go by that...only hard math and average fuel economy.

But if you do it the math way, then major props to you, sir.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
The true and real way to see your average mpg is to fill it up your tank all the way, reset one of your trip buttons, drive to about Empty, record on paper and divide your fuel tank capacity by the number of miles. Redo this once again and compare each recording. That will get your average MPG.

·
Say What again!
6,013 Posts
Yep, that's how I do it, it's how I've always done it. I just do it average per tank.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
On that note, dont change the way your driving habits either. That does play a factor too. Drive normally, lol.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I use the display as an indicator for how I'm doing but your right it is usualy off by 1 or 2 mpg's.

I recorded miles traveled and gallons used and always fill up at the same pump so I know my stuff is accurate.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Wow! thats impressive. My best tank ever is 42.9 Have you done any mods to the car or is this all accomplished via hypermiling techniques?

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Partial grill block, LRR Michelin tires running at sidewall max air pressure, alignment set to near zero toe front and back. Had to get a shim kit for the back toe to get changed.

A lot of hypermiling and a good route to work.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.