Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
https://youtu.be/5IkmJUtMri4

Just got towed into the shop today. It's almost at 199,000 miles and I'm really hoping they don't consider it a "total" because I'm not ready to start making car payments on a new car and I was actually excited to hit 200,000 miles. Wish me luck.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
168 Posts

·
Say What again!
6,037 Posts
Jesus - to be honest: Cobalt: 1, Elk: 0. I was expecting much worse, but you probably got lucky it was such a big animal, as the nose went right under its belly. It really looks like you only need a hood and a windshield.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I know. I'd be happy if they'd just replace the windshield and I'd worry about the hood myself.

·
Say What again!
6,037 Posts
Hell, the hood looks like it still latches, yeah?

If you have full coverage, they'll replace both, but it really looks like that's about it. Maybe a few hundred bucks at most.

I know your pain though - when I hit the fire hydrant in the Cav, I was almost at 260k miles (258,600), and I was so bummed about it.

·
Registered
497 Posts
They didn’t charge you with clipping the moose did they?...
They most likely will want to total the car and offer you $1000-$2000.
You don’t have to accept their offer. If you want to keep it, Get estimates, put a wind shield and hood on it and keep the rest of the bucks for the next Buck....or Moose. And put a band aid on the dents on the roof.
A white hood with a moose flag would go well.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The shop called and said it'd be over $2,000 to fix. Still waiting to hear from the insurance.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
At shop rates yeah I would have guessed about 2500 as long as there isn't any damage other than the hood windshield and those dings on the roof. With a base model cobalt with 200k miles I'm sure insurance will total it out but just buy it back if you still want it. Shouldn't be much more than 250 or so for the windshield then pick up a red hood from a junkyard or craigslist or somewhere, I see them go for about 100 in good shape. As long as the dents on the roof don't affect the windshield just let them be and pocket the extra money from the check

·
Say What again!
6,037 Posts
Hell, even with shop labor it shouldn't be that much.

·
Say What again!
6,037 Posts
Clearly...but that's at most 2 or 3 hours of labor, at $125 an hour...

The hood is like four bolts.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Some of it is probably the dings on the roof near the top of the windshield. I wonder how much less it would be if they'd leave those dings alone as long as the new windshield can still seat and seal properly. Gotta leave some kind of battle scar to tell a story with ya know.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, insurance adjuster finally called this morning and he says they're going to go ahead and have my car fixed. I'm guessing the adjuster who had a 2007 Cobalt with over 300,000 miles on it might've had something to do with the decision.

·
Say What again!
6,037 Posts
Wow, that's impressive.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, she is back now. Thank God because the battery management system on my Dad's new 2012 Focus is very annoying. Can't listen to music for more than a few minutes, even with the key on.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Just like new...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.