Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would going to a hardware store and buying one of those big Furnace filters(assuming its of correct width), cutting it to permiter and sliding it in the cabin filter slot work?

just a question...

·
Registered
4,647 Posts
it's probably more convenient to just buy the oem one. it's kind of a pain in the ass to get in because it bunches up when you try and get it in (that's what she said). it took me like 20 minutes of sliding it around to finally get it to fit in. old one was nasty as shit!

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hmm I see, the only reason I was thinking about it is because you apperently have to replace them quite often, so I figured it was WAY more economical to just buy on thats the right width and just cut it all up into the rectangles and get like 6 cabin filters from one furnace filter...

I've never changed my cabin filter, I've just seen pics of them so thats why I was asking if it'd work

·
Registered
498 Posts
It is amazing even that this Chevy economy car even has a cabin filter. My wife has a Malibu that doesn't have one. When I replaced mine and showed her how filthy it was she asked me to change hers too. That's when I found out the Malibu didn't have one and she was kind of bummed after looking at mine and knowing the stuff that gets inside the car because there is no filter to catch it.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
The GM cabin filter is paper. It isn't nearly as likely to fall apart as the usual Fiberglass furnace filter.

·
Registered
236 Posts
dude yea like a reusable one......just rinse clean with water lol

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
lol you guys are spazzes yes I'm a cheap bastard, I have school to pay for(want the arm or the leg?), car insurance, Gas, rent, food etc etc etc all on a part time job thats 30hrs a week, and Exuse me but for some reason car parts in Canada, from a filter to a plastic piece costs a million times more than you Americans!

Besides, it worked perfectly so haha there, I got 3 huge hepa filters for 6bucks at Homodepot and it fit perfectly, the blower blows air in at a good rate and all is good, so everyone telling me to go to Crappy tire and buy a 20paper shit cabin filter can all kiss my ass. :laugh::laugh::bigsmile:

·
Registered
416 Posts
lol you guys are spazzes yes I'm a cheap bastard, I have school to pay for(want the arm or the leg?), car insurance, Gas, rent, food etc etc etc all on a part time job thats 30hrs a week, and Exuse me but for some reason car parts in Canada, from a filter to a plastic piece costs a million times more than you Americans!

Besides, it worked perfectly so haha there, I got 3 huge hepa filters for 6bucks at Homodepot and it fit perfectly, the blower blows air in at a good rate and all is good, so everyone telling me to go to Crappy tire and buy a 20paper shit cabin filter can all kiss my ass. :laugh::laugh::bigsmile:
LMFAO!!! Good job with the filter. I'm not a cheap bastard at all, but I do know a good deal when I see one. Picking up a "Home Depot Chevy Cobalt cabin filter" today as well. :blink1:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.