Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it better to get a nonfunctional hood scoop or a new hood with a functional scoop? Just wondering because I don't know how it would look does anyone have a nonfunctional hood scoop on their balt? I guess it probably doesnt make much of a difference but I just wonder how it looks. Thanks Guys:)

·
Registered
80 Posts
Well IMO it depends on the scoop, some scoops look good on some cars, while others look like crap. as far as the non-functional part, that can be fixed by cutting a whole in the hood, under the scoop. I myself, I want the carbon fiber hood with the scoop, but i cant afford it right now. anyway just my two cents worth.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
yea i agree ...if your going to do it do it right

·
Registered
463 Posts
depends...are you going more for the style. cause it's just some times a good look. if you get a small slotted scoop you can get inserts and you can't tell. It's a money saver if you want it now. personally it depends on how you go with it. good idea to save the money and get a functional one.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
i would save the money ..if you want a bolt on hoods scoop to look right it does require body work

·
Registered
768 Posts
save your money. the only reason I'd ever go with a non functional hood scoop is if I was going for a certin look and couldn't find anything else. but there are a lot of hoods out the for the cobalt. A few members have tryed to get a group buy on hoods.

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
I have the same hood as posted above. Its functional, but only at cooling the engine bay. Honestly If you can deal with having a non functional scoop, I say do it. You'll save yourself a few hundred dollars.

·
Registered
768 Posts
I have the same hood as posted above. Its functional, but only at cooling the engine bay. Honestly If you can deal with having a non functional scoop, I say do it. You'll save yourself a few hundred dollars.
I don't disagree with you but He has to understand that it is a lot of work. he has to get it painted too.

Don't let this change your mind just because it's a lot of work doesn't mean you can't or shouldn't do it. You just have to know what you're getting into.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Almost all the hoods with "functional" scoops for our cars dont really do a damn thing except look good. That is of course depending upon what you personally think looks good. I personally do not see any reason for any hood scoop except for one that is sealed either to the air intake for cold air delivery or sealed to the back side of the radiator for heat removal. Given the choise I'd get a whole new hood. Do what you can afford and like, the only real opinion that matters is your own.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yea im thinking about a carbon fiber hood cause im gona buy my friends carbon fiber tipped muffler.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Non functional hood scoops are so V6 Ford Mustang. Atleast on Damans car, an LS2 GTO, or an MR2 Spyder, not to mention a few others, the cuts or scoops serve some purpose. Either make it functional or don't do it at all. I don't think I could bring myself to drill holes in my stock hood to make a functional scoop.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Non functional hood scoops are so V6 Ford Mustang. Atleast on Damans car, an LS2 GTO, or an MR2 Spyder, not to mention a few others, the cuts or scoops serve some purpose. Either make it functional or don't do it at all. I don't think I could bring myself to drill holes in my stock hood to make a functional scoop.
Especially since by the time you pay the body shop for that and to mold the scoop into the hood and repaint it, it would be cheaper to just buy a new hood

·
Registered
94 Posts
Hood Scoops

I love hood scoops, but they must have some functionality.

Before I ordered from RK Sport, I tried to pin them down on how close the underside opening is to the stock airbox (since I didn't want to have something non-functional).

Instead of answering my question, they took 40% off the price and said..."does that matter to you now?"

Well...

·
Registered
768 Posts
I love hood scoops, but they must have some functionality.

Before I ordered from RK Sport, I tried to pin them down on how close the underside opening is to the stock airbox (since I didn't want to have something non-functional).

Instead of answering my question, they took 40% off the price and said..."does that matter to you now?"

Well...
SOLD!!! lol

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.