Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im planning on getting a sound system for christmas and i dont know if i should get dynamat or not, honestly i dont wont to waist 60 bucks but i heard stories of windshields cracking and stuff. :blink: if i do get the dynamat would i need to do the whole trunk or just the door of the trunk or what????

·
Yay go me
2,154 Posts
im planning on getting a sound system for christmas and i dont know if i should get dynamat or not, honestly i dont wont to waist 60 bucks but i heard stories of windshields cracking and stuff. :blink: if i do get the dynamat would i need to do the whole trunk or just the door of the trunk or what????
i would get it but i dont have it. Dont really have the money but mines not to bad. But i have had them in for about 2 months now and its getting worse lol

·
Registered
166 Posts
with the cracking the windshield and all... if your gonna have the gain on the sub all the way up and play your music loud as you can, then you have to crack your windows. the subs push and vibrate the windows and mess with the air pressure and thats how you crack out your windows. i spend too much time in zebart. and my LS has the stock Pionneer sub in it and i must say, it doesnt rattle at all. hope this helps out

·
Registered
992 Posts
If you are operating any decent sized system definately dynamat because you will have some rattling and I the dynamat helps the sound immensly on the outside of the car and even helps the sound quality and tightness on the inside

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
if your still thinkin about getting my 15's your gonna need a lot of dynamat.. all i have is two tens and i have my entire trunk coated in it. and i still get a little rattle when i turn it up all the way.

dynamat will not stop 100% of the rattle but it will stop most of it. there are some places that you just can't reach..

·
Premium Member
2,473 Posts
You can find an inexpensive alterantive to Dynamat on Ebay by a couple different vendors. I have successfully bought from two different vendors with two different varities for both of my vehicles and are happy with both brands. Got enough for both doors for 45 to my door on one buy.

·
Registered
109 Posts
If you are operating any decent sized system definately dynamat because you will have some rattling and I the dynamat helps the sound immensly on the outside of the car and even helps the sound quality and tightness on the inside
this..

i've completely dynamatted the trunk, license plate, and rear deck and am working on the doors....the sound quality inside the car has raised tremendously and the rattle outside of the car is almost non-existent...

You can find an inexpensive alterantive to Dynamat on Ebay by a couple different vendors.
this is also a very viable option...

·
Registered
474 Posts
my trunk rattles like a mother.... when the bass hits you can feel the air hit you in the back of the head from the subs kicking... but yeah the rattling is a pain in the ass, I'd like to get some dynamat, but it's expensive. that would be your best bet if you can afford it.

·
Registered
575 Posts
had my 12's in my car for about 10 mins and i took them out...it rattled really bad i don't know if it was the ss wing or the car being made of plastic but it was annoying so i gave them to the gf lol

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
For the system you are running, you won't need dynamat right away. The rattle is not bad. My system rattles quite abit, but i dont always blast it loud so it doesnt rattle in that case, and I will be dynamat-ing/fatmat-ing my entire car next spring.

·
Registered
821 Posts
My car rattle aint too bad at all i dont think..... and its not even from the trunk poppers.................

Before you put your subs in the trunk, remove the spare tire panel and check the bottom of the spare tire wheel well.......... take that spare tire-threaded tie down bar-out if you can..... i mean, if you dont have a spare tire back there, you may as well take that metal piece out too, so its not jingle-jangling around....

Jingalang, jingalang!

·
Registered
498 Posts
I have a 10 inch and I get some when I play hip-hop from my iPod so I usually just turn the volume down when that happens. I just got handed to me a whole box of damping material at work. It metallic foil on the outside and peel off paper adhesive on a rubber mat underneath. I'm thinking about using that on my trunk lid. Is that what dynamat basically is?

·
Registered
153 Posts
So i got two Pioneer 12's in my Balt. They hit hard, and i love turning it up all the way. Ive had them for about 3 months and havent heard the rattling get progressively worse. Balts arent the most sound proof car around lol. Everything rattles. your rearview will be useless as it will begin to droop as the bass hits. You have to try to squeeze the metal prongs holding your domelight as well because itll dislodge.

Here's a vid of my Balt bassing on the stock head unit before i set up the levels for the bass, trebel, mids, etc.:

YouTube - Ozzie's 12'' Pioneer Champion series Subwoofers

P.S- The massive rattling when i pop my trunk is the actual sub box itself. The plastic airways were cracked at the time.

Hope this helps :)

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
So i got two Pioneer 12's in my Balt. They hit hard, and i love turning it up all the way. Ive had them for about 3 months and havent heard the rattling get progressively worse. Balts arent the most sound proof car around lol. Everything rattles. your rearview will be useless as it will begin to droop as the bass hits. You have to try to squeeze the metal prongs holding your domelight as well because itll dislodge.

Here's a vid of my Balt bassing on the stock head unit before i set up the levels for the bass, trebel, mids, etc.:

YouTube - Ozzie's 12'' Pioneer Champion series Subwoofers

P.S- The massive rattling when i pop my trunk is the actual sub box itself. The plastic airways were cracked at the time.

Hope this helps :)
cool. My rearview barely rattles at all. especially compared to my old civic!!!
The rattling really depends on the bass of the song. Some cause much more rattle than others, some rattle the inside more, some the outside more. I found the dome light rattles quite a lot as well as the entire headliner in my case. Im gonna take all the pannels out of my car and dynamat everything, from the trunk to the doors and headliner, etc. It's gonna sound great when it's done! but i gotta wait till spring...it's kinda hard when the car is covered in snow :p

·
Registered
43 Posts
i have two 12's in my trunk and they hit so hard i no longer have a rear view mirror and a dome light pretty much shattered the domelight and the wiring. got some dynomat to help improve sound quality. will be doing some more upgrades to the audio.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i think i said this in a different thread, is there any other alternative to dynamat like a thin sheet of foam or rubber with foil over that, held together by glue and stuck with double sided tape....
do u think that would work????

i mean i can order like a 100 square feet of a thin rubber sheet or some type of foam for like 20-50 dollars
and 100 sq feet of foil for like 20 bucks
2 bottles of glue 8 bucks
100sq feet of adhesive like duble sided tape maybe 25

all together 60-80 bucks and a little bit longer installation then dynamat.

dynamat = $150 for 100 sq feet (i have no idea just guessed)

·
Registered
174 Posts
i have two 12 inches and i put them in as soon as i got my car, about 6 months ago and i can say that yes it does rattle but to vut the rattling dowen i taoped the babyseat harnes things and that was what was rattling it kept opening and closing due to the base as soon as i taped it yes still rattle but less

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
i'll definatly secure as many things as possible like baby seats, rear view mirror, bolts in the trunk, ect

still wondering about that alternative home made dynamat though

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.