Chevy Cobalt Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've looked and cannot find the answers I need so if this is a re-post I apologize in advance. I want to know how I know what suspension I have on my 05 LS? I work at a parts store and I'm gonna upgrade to FE5 stuff if I don't already have it and if I do upgrade or at least replace it I need to know what all I should be replacing to get a more aggressive stance/better handling before I go crazy and buy the expensive aftermarket products because I get a discount on replacement parts being an employee so any way someone can give me an easy list of parts from what years and/or models I need to order parts for

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
ls wont have it. theres a sticker in the trunk under the mat on the left side. see if it says fe1,fe3, or fe5 on it. that'll tell you which one you have.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
I've looked and cannot find the answers I need so if this is a re-post I apologize in advance. I want to know how I know what suspension I have on my 05 LS? I work at a parts store and I'm gonna upgrade to FE5 stuff if I don't already have it and if I do upgrade or at least replace it I need to know what all I should be replacing to get a more aggressive stance/better handling before I go crazy and buy the expensive aftermarket products because I get a discount on replacement parts being an employee so any way someone can give me an easy list of parts from what years and/or models I need to order parts for
I'm intrested too know some of this too.

Jake - I know the front stabalizer bar from the FE5 setup will work and is a pretty decent upgrade for our cars, but I don't know what else you need to go with it. I'm sure some one out there knows.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
fe5 struts and shocks have to come from the dealer only where I live. But 2008+ fe5 struts and shocks and springs would be a major improvement. Although I would do ssc springs.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Struts can be found on rock auto for FE5 struts look in the 2008 ss section FE3 rear shock absorbers can found in the same place

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
yea but you wont find them in any local parts store I know of. Just telling him because he probably wont be able to get the shocks and struts discounted

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
he may be able to special order them though if he has the part number for them

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
viper is correct i can order basically anything i just found a couple threads that did help clear up some questions but thank you for telling me where to find my tags to identify my suspension I'll be sure to get FE5 components from here on in though I appreciate the help guys and I'll do a thread on the install and swap with comparisons on everything as soon as my monetary situation allows for it

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
for the money your going to spend on shocks springs and struts, to upgrade it all, you could just coilovers though... just a thought

---------- Post added at 09:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:34 PM ----------

also for control arms, I don't think there is an FE5, I think its only FE1 and FE3. The FE3 I was told is a big improvememt over the FE1.

·
Registered
4,647 Posts
False. Shocks 44x2 is 88. Struts 86x2 total 260, springs 150-200 total 410-460. Coilovers are at least 900

---------- Post added at 08:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:39 PM ----------

Oh man... Control arms off SS/sc are what you want, is tagged Fe5

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
well with 20% off initially plus my boss will cut the price on top of that i can get all of it for at least half off plus i had coilovers on my talon and i wasnt a fan of them for daily driving even on the softest setting it was like having no suspension at all, but i cornered like a champ LOL and they were TEIN's so it wasnt like i had junk either so i'm moving away from those

·
Premium Member
11,821 Posts
Check your RPO list in the trunk for one of these boxed in yellow..

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
add in 25x2 for the upper strut mount, but I guess your right still comes out to roughly 500 give or take some.

also I've searched for FE5 control arms with no luck. I've only ever seen them tagged as FE3

·
Premium Member
2,635 Posts
Can you get some deals for us? Lulz

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
I dunno if there is a thread or not that says exactly what suspension parts are on which car, but if not it would pretty sweet to have one. I know there is thread somewhere that has pretty generic info like all FE1, FE3, and FE5 parts are interchangeable, but it doesn't list them off.

---------- Post added at 09:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:56 PM ----------

never mind here is some good info http://www.yourcobalt.com/forums/su.../18199-performance-suspension-faq-advice.html

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
well online my store doesnt give me the options that i have in-store so remember that when shopping for parts on parts store websites i.e. advance, autozone, oreilly, napa, or whomever because i know for a fact in store i can buy just fe5 arms and they're all anno'd and stuff to look chrome so I'm not worried about that but if i'm not mistaken if i do all at my prices i'll spend roughly 450-600 depending on how hardcore i go with the extras and lowering springs, but i do understand you're idea viper i would agree if i did like the ride stability but again it was too rough for my liking

---------- Post added at 06:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:02 PM ----------

I'll try to piece together a parts list based on my parts info at work and a general price that can be found at almost any of the stores I dont work again until thursday but thursday afternoon i'll be sure to post the info plus i'm doing my own catback for personal preference reasons but i'll post my ideas up on that and get some feedback from you guys

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
False. Shocks 44x2 is 88. Struts 86x2 total 260, springs 150-200 total 410-460. Coilovers are at least 900
Banker, I'm pricing this stuff out too. Is it best practice to replace the other assembly parts (insulators, bumpers, mount bearings, etc) while you're in there too, or just if it looks worn?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.