Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I need to get a new key fob for my 05 coup, but I don't know how to program it and can't find it on the net, can you guys help me out please?

·
Registered
249 Posts
I actually bought one, from Dorman, and it came with a receiver to program it to the car. But wouldn’t you know, it didn’t work. According to the instructions it would only work three times. I assume so you could program three remotes? Anyways, it worked at total of zero times. And now I have a useless remote.

From what I’ve gathered, it has to be programmed with a Tech II scanner. Guess who has the access to those, the dealership. So for about $175 they will program the remote.

I have also been told by a few people I know that have the scanner for programming keys and ignitions that they are able to program the remotes. Althou I haven’t had anyone try yet. I believe most locksmiths that do automotive keys are probably able to program the remote as well. And more than likely have them for sale.

I will eventually get it done on my car. I actually have a remote that I bought the car with, but it’s damaged and doesn’t work. I got the alarm to work once. I believe the buttons are damaged from corrosion.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I actually bought one, from Dorman, and it came with a receiver to program it to the car. But wouldn’t you know, it didn’t work. According to the instructions it would only work three times. I assume so you could program three remotes? Anyways, it worked at total of zero times. And now I have a useless remote.

From what I’ve gathered, it has to be programmed with a Tech II scanner. Guess who has the access to those, the dealership. So for about $175 they will program the remote.

I have also been told by a few people I know that have the scanner for programming keys and ignitions that they are able to program the remotes. Althou I haven’t had anyone try yet. I believe most locksmiths that do automotive keys are probably able to program the remote as well. And more than likely have them for sale.

I will eventually get it done on my car. I actually have a remote that I bought the car with, but it’s damaged and doesn’t work. I got the alarm to work once. I believe the buttons are damaged from corrosion.
Have you or anyone tried this
Plus my dealer said the could do it for 62 bucks, so if all else fails I'll buy a fob from Amazon and do that.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Most good locksmiths can get you straight.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I haven’t tried it yet, but I’ll go outside in a bit and try it out. I was planning on going to my favorite locksmith though since I need to make some keys for my car and would probably just have him do it at the same time. I’ll let you know if the procedure works from the link. I know in older vehicles it has worked, I think one time I have had luck on a Honda Accord. But didn’t think the Cobalt would work like that.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I haven’t tried it yet, but I’ll go outside in a bit and try it out. I was planning on going to my favorite locksmith though since I need to make some keys for my car and would probably just have him do it at the same time. I’ll let you know if the procedure works from the link. I know in older vehicles it has worked, I think one time I have had luck on a Honda Accord. But didn’t think the Cobalt would work like that.
Have you tried that yet?

·
Registered
249 Posts
I tried it a few times. I tried looking up procedures from different sources, and they’re basically the same. But when I’d press and hold the unlock, then turn the key on off on off, it wouldn’t activate anything.

I believe the programming has to be done with a Tech II scanner like I was inclined to believe in the beginning. I do not think there’s any way around the security system and has to be done by someone that has the software to enter the bcm. My scanner can do a lot, but can’t get into certain things when I’ve tried.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I would like to have it done but don’t ever have time during the week. I’m going to see if I can get a locksmith to come to my shop and do it during the day. They come make keys and program ignition cylinders all the time for some of the other shops. So it’s worth a try I guess. Too bad I wasn’t able to get it to work though. Even the programmer that came with the new key fob will not connect with the car. Hopefully I don’t find out there’s a problem with the bcm.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
I tried to program a remote for my HHR SS and could never get it to program. Tried 2 different dorman programmers.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I was able to program my RKE fobs with the Dorman kit. It only works for 3 times which is kind of lame. Dealerships can program the RKE fobs within minutes in the service drive and doesn’t require going into the shop.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I fixed my problem, it was a bad key pad, I changed it for a new one I had bought and now the key fob works perfect. I though would like to have at least a second one on hand.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Programming fobs is a Tech II (or specialized tool) thing as far as I've been able to tell.

The VCX Nano GM is the way to go - comes with a less than legit but functional copy of Tech2Win and works with GM's full fat programming software. Tech2Win has been handy for programming remotes and enabling cruise control. Dealer software ($40 for 2 years of unlimited programming of all modules on one VIN) worked a treat for programming a new TCM in my '06 after the old TCM started hot-bugging.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts