Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my Cobslt last year, love the car. Was so happy to buy an American vehicle, etc. But this government take over (bail out, whatever) of GM really has me down. Just is not what our country is supposed to be about. I'm torn because I want Chevy to survive, but not like this. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
527 Posts
Im just glad that Chevy hasnt got bought out by some other company out of the states. I do know that the goverment has some pretty shadey plans for more fuel efficient cars which will make people like us have a harder time making them crank out more horsepower

·
Registered
720 Posts
I will never buy new. No point. I got my 07 Cobalt LS sedan in June of 07 w/ 12k miles on the odometer for a great price. Couldn't be happier.

I don't think the bailout or anything the government does will really effect GM so severely that they don't survive or become powerless piles. They'll turn around soon enough. Once they do and start paying back what they owe, they'll do just fine. Trimming the fat is the first step to getting back on their feet.

It will take time, but they'll thrive again. If they've come this close to losing things, what do you suppose they're thinking about? "How can we prevent this from happening again?" So hopefully they'll listen to what consumers want and study Toyota and Honda and the others more closely. I personally think their biggest downfall was the benefits they gave their employees and retired employees. Health care is the most expensive thing for them to play with. I'm glad they pay their employees well, but they don't need to have the best insurance out there too.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
I will never buy new. No point. I got my 07 Cobalt LS sedan in June of 07 w/ 12k miles on the odometer for a great price. Couldn't be happier.

I don't think the bailout or anything the government does will really effect GM so severely that they don't survive or become powerless piles. They'll turn around soon enough. Once they do and start paying back what they owe, they'll do just fine. Trimming the fat is the first step to getting back on their feet.

It will take time, but they'll thrive again. If they've come this close to losing things, what do you suppose they're thinking about? "How can we prevent this from happening again?" So hopefully they'll listen to what consumers want and study Toyota and Honda and the others more closely. I personally think their biggest downfall was the benefits they gave their employees and retired employees. Health care is the most expensive thing for them to play with. I'm glad they pay their employees well, but they don't need to have the best insurance out there too.
You hit the proverbial "nail on the head" with that statement...GM is one of the oldest car manufacturers and they are behind in customer satisfaction. They shouldn't have to look at Toyota and Honda, they should have been in the lead. That's what happens when you keep a "fifties" mentality on what a car should be and run a company with "smart" people that couldn't care less what consumers want in a car.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
I look at it like this, already got the chevy I want. Plenty of nice used ones well be around if I chose to get something else and I do not plan to buy new anymore anyway.
my thoughts exactly, beamer.

as for the future of GM, here is my worst case scenario: i wonder if the government won't just make them produce more fuel efficient cars, but also increasingly basic/crappier ones year by year (like India's Tata Motors $2,000 car), and b/c they're crappy, they're cheaper. thus, they have very basic and cheap cars that people will go for b/c they'd rather pay less than get a nice car (they'll become as disposable as toasters). then other car companies will have to follow suit in order to compete, and then we have a whole market of crappy cars with maybe a few companies that focus on still making nice sports and luxury cars, but they would be even more expensive b/c there is less demand for them.

but yeah, that's my worst-case scenario.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
my thoughts exactly, beamer.

as for the future of GM, here is my worst case scenario: i wonder if the government won't just make them produce more fuel efficient cars, but also increasingly basic/crappier ones year by year (like India's Tata Motors $2,000 car), and b/c they're crappy, they're cheaper. thus, they have very basic and cheap cars that people will go for b/c they'd rather pay less than get a nice car (they'll become as disposable as toasters). then other car companies will have to follow suit in order to compete, and then we have a whole market of crappy cars with maybe a few companies that focus on still making nice sports and luxury cars, but they would be even more expensive b/c there is less demand for them.

but yeah, that's my worst-case scenario.

Yeah, that kind of scenario is exactly what the problem is with the government getting involved. The notion that the Feds will supply huge amounts of money and then not interfere in the running of the business is ridiculous. From their point of view it's totally logical - "hey, it's our money". Another thing people are forgetting is that Ford is now having problems competing because their customers can't get as sweet a deal on financing as GM buyers - because the government is backing GMAC (or whatever GM's finance company is). Sounds more like something that should be going on in China than the USA.

·
Registered
201 Posts
If the government didn't get involved then GM would have gone bankrupt, or even been forced into a merger with a European company, similar to what Chrysler did. Of course it's not at all ideal that the government takes possesion of what was originally a private company, but if it mean keeping them afloat, then it's worth it.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Have you seen the latest "funny" about the Government Auto Czar and "appointed" Auto Overseers? Don't know if it's true or not but when they went off about better fuel mileage and longer running battery powered cars they were told you can't beat the Laws-of-Physics. Their reply to this was supposedly something like: "That's why we're here, to get Congress to make changes or use executive orders to make changes as necessary to get things moving".

If it's true...heaven help the USA...:lol:

·
Premium Member
3,783 Posts
another thing I find funny is no one really mentions the problems that GM, Ford and Chrysler are having with our Japan counter parts. Last I heard Toyota was having some serious problems aswell and personally, GM does not need to look at them for ideas like quality. I have been in Toyota's, g/f has a pos corolla and Ihave driven a few others including a new corolla when my other balt was in the shop. I do not see this far better quality in them or honda's that people seem to say they do. Have people not looked at the new Malibu? It blows them camry's and accords away in style and is right on with this so called better quality the Japs seem to have.

As I say to people who wave the our Flag and preach about being an American, "why are you driving a Jap piece and not showing true pride by driving a US company vehicle." I love their "well my honda was built in such and such sate," so what! The money goes back to Japan. Who cares if our vehicles have parts and things from different countries or are not made here in the US. Your money still goes to the Company which is US. Anyway lol

·
Registered
720 Posts
The materials in Toyota's, Honda's, etc. are higher quality. Believe it or not. GM's gotten really cheap with the materials they have used over the years. You may not like foreign cars at all, but many people do...you can't change the fact. And when you get into the luxury brands, Lexus, Infiniti, Acura, etc. You'll see even bigger differences. Yes Buick's are pretty nice, Cadillac's are very nice, but they are they only ones to use quality materials...although they skimp here and there too.

The Malibu is a new car...it's an improvement from years past...look at the last Malibu...shitty quality. Camaro and Malibu are the beginning of what's to come from GM in the future. It will get better even.

My sister-in-laws b/f has a 68/69 Camaro SS. That thing is totally stock on the interior. The quality of what they used back then was incredible compared to anything from the 70's to early 2000's. My wife's cousin has an early 60's Corvette Sting Ray. He bought it when he was 19 for $1500. That was more than 30 years ago. Again, quality of the car is amazing...it's in original condition and hasn't been restored.

Now take a car from the 80's, 90's, early 2000's and let it sit for the same amount of time and it won't look like those old cars did. All the plastic they use now is crap. It will crack and deteriorate in 10-15 years. Leather seats will crack and wear and look like crap in 15-20 years. It's not the same quality they used before and it's not the same quality that foreign auto's have.

GM just got cheap over the years. Plain and simple.

Now it's time for them to go back to the drawing board and re-do things.

Now if you want to get into engine refinement, quality of parts and all that other stuff, we can do that as well. But I'm referring mainly to interiors in my posts. GM's already come a ways with quality and durability of their engines since years past, but they still have a ways to go. They need to work with what they have and continue to improve them rather than building a new engine for every car that comes out.

And for your last statement Beamer...your damn right I wave a flag and preach about being American (I've only owned GM's...1 Pontiac, 3 Saturns, 2 Chevy's). However, I would have no problem buying a foreign car. I've always liked Nissan and Subaru for Japanese autos and Audi/VW, BMW, Mini, and Porsche for Euro's. I would have no problem buying one. My mother has always owned GM or Chrysler's until last year (she's driven many vehicles in her lifetime...the last few from the past 20 years were an Olds Omega for years, a Dodge Spirit for years, an Olds Cutlass Ciera for years...that was her last car. She wanted to get something smaller and more fuel efficient. She drove an Aveo for a few weeks and considered buying one, but decided she liked EVERYTHING about the Fit more and went with that. Her last 3 cars lasted more than 20 years combined and more than 500,000 miles combined, but she wanted something that would get better than 20-25MPG. None of the cars she's owned would ever touch 30MPG. Not to mention it's more comfortable than an Aveo.

My only point in all this is that GM slacked for years and that's why they ended up the way they did. Now with the economy going the way it is, they have to start pulling everything together and putting out better, more fuel efficient and more stylish cars that still have enough power for people. Plus the pricing has to be on par or better than the competition or people won't buy. I know a lot of people who've always driven American cars, but started switching to foreign cars because of any number of reasons. GM and Ford and Chrysler need to step up their game to get back in it.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
As I say to people who wave the our Flag and preach about being an American, "why are you driving a Jap piece and not showing true pride by driving a US company vehicle." I love their "well my honda was built in such and such sate," so what! The money goes back to Japan. Who cares if our vehicles have parts and things from different countries or are not made here in the US. Your money still goes to the Company which is US. Anyway lol
We live in a Global Economy...how would you answer your own question driving a Pontiac GTO...Australian made Holden...and if the stories I've read are true the Camaro is based on the G8 chassis too and made in Canada. Should you fly an American, Australian, or Canadian flag while driving these?

·
Premium Member
3,783 Posts
still sold under GM so really doesn't matter, money goes back to GM and its counter parts. I think mentioned only people who have American flag bumper stickers or other form of support America and such and not them waving other country flags around. I said nothing of putting on the flag your cars origin comes from but whatever

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.