1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The "Cobalt" and the "LS"
and even the "Chevy Logo"
Im looking to paint mine

Can anyone lead me step by step on how to do it?

do i have to remove them completely?

if i do? how do i remove them and how to i put them back!?

What kind of paint should i use?
and should i sand it down?

and a final question,
if i were to take off the "LS"
part
would that be ilegall, concerning police trying to identefy your car or anything like that?
:blink:

all the help is great. thanks!

·
Sneezing Daily
1,155 Posts
You would more than likely want to remove the letters (just using some fishing line or thing twine to get them off, then clean it up with goo gone, putting them back on with some type of double sided tape).

As for sanding them u could but I have never painted the letters before just removed them.

And If you take off the LS on your car the police should have no problem Identifying your car because I believe to say that if you look on your registration there is no mention of if its an LS, LT, or SS. I know of some people who have there cars completely debadged and have not gotten into any trouble. If they give you hastle about it tell them to show you the Statute and ask for the District Attourney's or City Attourney to really find out if they would prosecute you for that.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
get them off with a fishing line?
i heard you could also use a blow dryer
but i dont know if that would damage paint at all.

and as far as the double sided tape. that sounds easy enough, however, can you tell me if it holds up well?

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
yeah just use a blow drier to heat up the letters and than use fishing line to pull them off than use goo gone to get the residue off. WD 40 works good too
i took my bowtie off and got all the residue off and you can still somewhat see where the bowtie was due to no physical light or sun hitting that part of the paint because the bowtie was there

·
Registered
236 Posts
i have double-sided tape on my car. letter wise, i put the cobalt letters on the bowtie and the ls in the bottom corner and after a year its still holding strong :amuse: here's a pic...

as for the emblem, there's tape holding that on too but i added a bit of glue to it for that extra grip. wasnt actually glue it was some kind of trim adhesive i found at auto zone. overall it's a pretty easy task, good luck! oh and btw, i used a blow dryer and it didnt hurt my paint i did however scratch the crap outta it with my debit card tho :embarrest: so i'd recommend the fishing line too

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
lol. wow man. looks like u made your own logo their. it looks nice. i havent seen that till now.
ill go ahead and get satarted probably tomorrow,

lol. yo man im trying to get creative. if i could make re arrange the letters some how
but
c
o
b
a
l
t

doesnt give me much to work with!?
lol

anywayz, back to the bowtie, im thinking about painting that black to match my smoked
tail lights.

did u sand it well?
and what kind of paint did u use?
how many coats?

·
Registered
94 Posts
doesnt give me much to work with!?
Well, since you have the "LS" you could spell out...

COBLAST

Of course, you'd want to do some upgrades so that the car actually is a 'blast' to drive.

·
Registered
236 Posts
i didnt sand the bowtie all that much, just a minor scuff seemed to be enough. i wanna say i used 800 grit on it but i honestly dont remember. as far as paint goes, i used the krylon fusion satin black which can be found at wal-mart for a few bucks a can. coat wise, i think i did two maybe three.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
oh my god TL
thats awesome~!
"COBLAST"
does sound pretty cool.
people would be like!?
is that the new chevy?
hahaha

i cant believe that came too you like that.
well yea, your right about the upgrades.

and
"its just me"

sounds good man, im gonna go ahead and get started.
with that,

you also used double sided tape?

do u know the brand u used?
if u did use that?

·
Registered
236 Posts
yep i used double sided tape, it held up through car washes and one winter already so i trust it. im pretty sure the brand was scotch. i actually found it at lowes, the package says mounting tape but its the same thing. i figure if it can hold a sign against a wall it can hold letters to a car lol

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
Moved to interior and exterior styling. THe How-to forum is for how-to instructions only.

·
Registered
94 Posts
i cant believe that came too you like that
Last year I was doing the same thing that you are now. I sat down with the letters in front of me, mixed them up, moved them around, and worked it out.

Then I decided to rebadge only the bowties...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.