Chevy Cobalt Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We lost another driver side mirror being parked on our insane street. This time the whole glass and backing came off cleanly. The manual adjuster mechanism is intact. I have another complete mirror assembly but it is power and the broken one is manual. How can I get the mirror glass part off of the power and put it on the manual? I know it has to be possible because they sell just the mirror and backing so that you can replace a broken glass. But how does the old glass release from the adjuster mechanism?
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Automotive design Bumper Rim

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That is what I did while waiting for a new mirror to arrive. It is annoying though- the glass obviously can come off because they sell a new glass only assembly. There are plastic arms with claws at the ends that press into the adjuster and are held in place. I see no way to get behind and release them even with the back-side cover off. FWIW the glass-only replacement part costs as much as the whole darn mirror assembly. No-brainer to just get the whole thing.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
I have a set of electric to install on the BC and replace OEM manual ones that are gummed up with age. I thought the glass snaps and is glued into a carrier that snaps onto the plate that swivels & pivots.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the glass is glued into a carrier that snaps onto the plate that swivels & pivots.
Yes, the glass is glued to a plastic plate. That plate snaps onto the swivel mechanism. No glue on that. Maybe it is not meant to ever be removed. But in case of breakage, a replacement can be snapped on to the swivel part?

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OMG ANOTHER mirror bit the dust!!! My daughter was driving the '05 back to me and some douchebag in a huge SUV was coming straight at her. She pulled into the parking lane so as not to get hit head-on and she stopped, yet the asshat still nailed the mirror. This time the glass and backing came off cleanly. I can see how it attaches. I think you can just pry the whole glass/backing plate right off. It presses into the adjuster and is retained by plastic tabs. This time I ordered another whole mirror assembly because it is cheaper than just the glass. Then I found just the glass/backing for a very cheap price and I decided to try replacing just the glass on the old one. Stay tuned.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Whelp, the Fleabay vendor cancelled my order for the replacement mirror glass. He said the address I have used for 18 years is "no good". OK. So I ordered from someone else for a bit le$$. Supposedly these type snap right on to the factory housing. We shall see.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts