Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys i juss noticed my traction control is off everytime i start the car. shows up on the display.. anyone know how to turn it on?

2008 cobalt 2lt.. dont have a traction control button

also any big changes when its on compared to off?
winter is coming, figured it might be smart to turn it on.

·
Registered
675 Posts
if its an automatic, when you put it in either D or I it turns on automatically. when you put it in low gear it turns off. im pretty sure it always says its off when you turn it on because youre not actually in gear.

·
Premium Member
2,635 Posts
Mine never says it's off until I pull my handbrake up, got a weird situation

Sent from my PG86100

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Traction control is enabled as soon as "ABS" as done it's initiation test. Then it will only be active when it detects wheel slippage. T/C is always on unless you pull the parking brake or ABS fails.

·
Chevy Customer Service
794 Posts
Good morning Ray69,

I checked out your manual and if your vehicle is equipped with Traction Control there should be a button on the steering wheel to turn it on or off. I can check to see if you for sure have this feature or not with the last 8 digits of your VIN; also, GM of Canada can be reached at 800-263-3777 (Hours: M-F 7:30am - 11:30pm, Sat 7:30am - 6:00 EST).

Sarah, GM Customer Service

·
Registered
675 Posts
what year is yours? because i dont have the button on the steering wheel on mine, mine just turns on when i put it in gear...

·
Registered
675 Posts
yeah for mine ('10) its just a few words in the info section where the mileage is that say "traction control off" when i start my car then they go away. if i put it in L then it flashes it at me again on the info section.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Good morning Ray69,

I checked out your manual and if your vehicle is equipped with Traction Control there should be a button on the steering wheel to turn it on or off. I can check to see if you for sure have this feature or not with the last 8 digits of your VIN; also, GM of Canada can be reached at 800-263-3777 (Hours: M-F 7:30am - 11:30pm, Sat 7:30am - 6:00 EST).

Sarah, GM Customer Service
Sorry Hon, it's on the dash, NOT the steering wheel.......

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
This one???

·
Registered
498 Posts
Don't have one on mine.
2009 LT Sedan

·
Premium Member
2,635 Posts
My guess is SS

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
There is actually two different system using the same icon "ESC" &"TCS".

Electronic Stability Control (ESC)/Traction Control System (TCS) Indicator/Warning Light

For vehicles with the Electronic Stability Control (ESC) system or the Traction Control System (TCS), the indicator/warning light comes on briefly when the engine is started.

If it does not, have the vehicle serviced by the dealer/retailer. If the system is working normally the indicator light goes off.

If this light is on while certain DIC messages display, this indicates that the ESC and TCS are not working or are disabled.

If this light is on and not flashing, the TCS and potentially the ESC system have been disabled. Check the DIC messaging to determine which feature(s) is no longer functioning and whether it is because of the driver turning off the feature(s), or because the system is not working properly and the vehicle requires service.

If the TCS is disabled, wheel spin is not limited. If the ESC system is disabled, the system does not aid in maintaining directional control of the vehicle.

If the indicator/warning light is on and flashing, the TCS or the ESC system is actively working. Check the DIC messaging for details to determine which system.

Electronic Stability Control (ESC)
The vehicle may have an Electronic Stability Control (ESC) system which combines antilock brake, and traction and stability control systems that help the driver maintain directional control of the vehicle in most driving conditions.

When the vehicle is started and begins to move, the system performs several diagnostic checks to ensure there are no problems. The system may be heard or felt while it is working. This is normal and does not mean there is a problem with the vehicle. The system should initialize before the vehicle reaches 20 mph (32 km/h).

If the system fails to turn on or activate, the ESC/TCS light comes on, and the ESC OFF and/or SERVICE ESC message displays.

Traction Control System (TCS) The vehicle may have a Traction Control System (TCS) that limits wheel spin. This is especially useful in slippery road conditions. The system operates only if it senses that the front wheels are spinning too much or are beginning to lose traction. When this happens, the system works the front brakes and reduces engine power by closing the throttle and managing engine spark to limit wheel spin.

·
Chevy Customer Service
794 Posts
All I've got to go on...

Ridinonrails,

Sorry for providing the wrong info! All I have to work with are manuals. I saw the following on p. 3-4 and 3-5 for the 2008 Cobalt:

(I hope it works...)

Thanks,
Sarah
GM Customer Service

·
Registered
498 Posts
Must be a see through steering wheel :)

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Sarah, even you, are allowed to make mistakes, you have to admit it is a little funny. Just don't tell anybody the hazard button is also on the steering wheel.

·
Registered
675 Posts
1 - 20 of 37 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.