Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering because I have never driven my cobalt in snow, how is it with regular all season tires? Because I have the pirelli p6 tires and I just wanted to know what to expect

·
Sneezing Daily
1,155 Posts
If you are automatic, you should be ok, but be cautious those stock tires suck in snow... I would say get snow tires or different all seasons... I learned my lesson last year, riding on Dunlop snow tires this year...

·
Rocket Power
711 Posts
Yeah, stock Pirelli's suck in the white stuff! I can't say much though, this will be my second year on them! Just didn't have the spendage to get snow tires this year.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Y balt is an auto sedan with no ABS. It sucks in snow. The tires r hoooorrrible. I definetly wanna get hardcore snow tires on my steelies and get some rims n put spring-fall performance wet/dry tires.
I had an intrepid last year and that thing was awesome in snow. It didn't have abs either but it stopped prety quick even when the brakes locked up. Then the engine blew in feb and that's when I got my Balt.
When the brakes lock up, the back end whips around prety easily and it feels like it slides forever kuz it's so light. It's fun... Untill you actually need to stop fast.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
My balt does horribly, it only gets like 4mpg and it doesn't get traction..bahaha

·
Wootsauce!
8,593 Posts
LOLOL. I love when this topic comes up.

It's simple. Throw some good snow tires on it, and you'll be fine. Manual or auto...it doesn't matter. You just gotta know how to drive.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Im kind of glad i never got a chance to drive the balt in snow, because it was a manual, it didnt have good tires, it didnt have traction control and it didnt have ABS.

·
Wootsauce!
8,593 Posts
i have a '09 LS 5spd...no abs, no traction control. Last winter we had about 3ft of snow in under 48hrs. I was out driving in it that day. I have never had a problem getting "traction" or anything like that.

Like I said...you just have to know how to drive. I've driven fwd and rwd cars in the snow and I enjoy both. Give me snow tires and I'll get you where you need to go. Only thing you gotta watch out for is other drivers and Ice. Even the best drivers can not conquer ice.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I agree with XFE. I haven't had a single problem with my balt in the snow, on the stock all-seasons. Of course I don't fly around, I take my time.

The ONLY time I had trouble was deep snow and a high-grade hill. I wouldn't do that again.

·
Sneezing Daily
1,155 Posts
Alex, if your backend spins out, put a sand bag in your trunk, it will put enough weight back there to keep it planted down.

·
Registered
194 Posts
with stock tires, horrendous.... continental summer tires.. psh... with all season tires, great... passed a ford edge awd on the highway one day doin' 50 with no issues... until it gets too high... lower sstc bumper makes that an issue... although I had to blow through a small wall of snow once cause of the way the plows did the circle lol... "ah... crap...hit the gas too late for brake".. worked out well just couldn't see for a second

1 - 20 of 68 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.