Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wondering if the data that is averaged is sampled continually for the life of the car (or computer) or if there is a moving distance span that is considered in the calculations by the computer. For example, if something affects the mpg greatly in one incident, is it always considered or is that data phased out after so many miles to be replaced by a new set of real time measurements ?
I couldn't find where this has been discussed. If it has and I missed it, I'm sorry. Thanks, Louisiana

·
Registered
922 Posts
I'm pretty sure it keeps track of MPG continually. I don't think it phases out old data. When you reset it, is when it starts over. If you reset it and drove around an averaged 30.4 mpg, and then just let the car sit and idle, your average MPG will continue to keep track and get lower as it sits and burns fuel...

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Calculations are done since last reset, so the longer you go without reseting it the closer the reading to your absolute average. Same with average speed, the minute you reset it, it starts over. This will also affect the calculated distance left on the tank.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Depending on model and options,press and hold the crooked arrow for 2 seconds on proper display.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I've reset mine fumbling around while trying to reset my oil life system display. I guess it would depend on how much you drive but for me within a week or so I'm back within a long term average measure.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.