Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Basically im just wondering like is it durable?
Can it handle performance mods?
what can i do to insure i don't run into issues with it?

i own a 2006 chevy cobalt ls 2.2liter automatic

I want to put a new exhaust in aswell in the future supercharge / turbocharge

Please don't bash on my decision to do this to an automatic or to do it to a cobalt because its a slow car... i love my cobalt and plan on keeping it awhile its what i want to do and i wont be changing my mind

ive read a few places that i would need to upgrade my tranny? what do they mean when they say that?

ive also read on other forums that arnt specific to cobalts that i would be fine by just doing my performance mods

Thanks in advance for all the help, im pretty new and trying to learn quickly and that is why ive been asking alot of questions :)

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Yes you can mod an auto cobalt but the amount of power it can handle is still debated. Supposedly our trannys are rated for about 300 whp. but some say dont go over 230 and others are rocking 300 plus so there doesnt seem to be a solid answer.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes you can mod an auto cobalt but the amount of power it can handle is still debated. Supposedly our trannys are rated for about 300 whp. but some say dont go over 230 and others are rocking 300 plus so there doesnt seem to be a solid answer.
what is the whp stock?
and the ppl with these mods are using STOCK AUTO TRANNY?
just clearifying cuz thats great news xD

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Most ppl seem to be running a tranny cooler with these numbers. Stock whp I think runs around 115-125. (Dont quote me on that) But hopefully someone will help clarify this information to you better because Im still learning as well haha

---------- Post added at 12:39 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:38 AM ----------

Just beware because you will be making your tranny work a lot harder so you risk blowing it with higher numbers.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hmmm where would i look to get a tranny cooler ebay best bet? also what are some things i can do to increase life of my tranny? and lastly my tranny i BELIEVE has never been replaced i could be wrong but im pretty sure, and im sitting at 108,000 miles should i think about replacing it? and how much does something like that cost?

I know im asking alot of questions but i really do appreciate your time and help :)

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
You should be able to hit about 300 before you'll have serious issues. You'll need to build the engine long before you do the tranny but once the engine is built you will have to worry about the tranny in which case ZZP sells a built auto.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
What he said^ But your looking at thousands of dollars.... GM rates the max power at 315 hp but if you want your car to continue to be reliable down the road I wouldnt push your tranny. Im planning on eventually supercharging mine and Im not going to go past 250 because I still want my car to be reliable.

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
It doesn't have a built engine though so really not that conservative.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.