Chevy Cobalt Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Wifey's '05 runs around 205° at times. Sometimes even higher. The '08 is running up to 217°. Is this normal? The only time they run 195° is in the Winter. They run cooler with the AC on but that is probably because the fan comes on with AC. What is the normal temp for these 2.2 engines?

·
Say What again!
6,378 Posts
My '07 will usually run right around 176-196*.

Reactions: Kubiak1989

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The Wifey says she hits 212° sometimes even in Winter. This is with a new thermostat and coolant flush.

·
Registered
6 Posts
There's times your coolant Temps may rise above 210 for a number of reasons, as long as your Temps remain below 230 you shouldn't fear any damage.
If your coolant tank isn't low, I'd start with the factory refill procedure to purge any air from your coolant system and top off coolant levels if needed.

·
Say What again!
6,378 Posts
I had to look it up, the cobalt cooling fans don't kick on until coolant reaches 223* Fahrenheit.
223* engages low, 230* engages high.
Mine kicks on at 190.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I had to look it up, the cobalt cooling fans don't kick on until coolant reaches 223* Fahrenheit.
223* engages low, 230* engages high.
She gets scared when it goes above 200°. She either turns on the AC so the fan comes on- or the heat so it helps cool the engine. Either way I wonder why the 2.2 runs so hot. I at first thought the thermostat was bad so I went through the arduous job of replacing it only to get no change. Especially when aluminum engines are suppose to dissipate heat better than cast iron engines.

·
Registered
37 Posts
My 09 will run to 20 5 to 215, For five or 10 minutes but usually 195 to 200

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
She gets scared when it goes above 200°. She either turns on the AC so the fan comes on- or the heat so it helps cool the engine. Either way I wonder why the 2.2 runs so hot. I at first thought the thermostat was bad so I went through the arduous job of replacing it only to get no change. Especially when aluminum engines are suppose to dissipate heat better than cast iron engines.
They were designed to run hotter.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
They were designed to run hotter.
I did not know that. I am used to running at 195° like my Sunfire 2.2 does. These Ecotec engines have been pretty trouble free so I had no idea they like to run hot. That is a relief. My 4.0 Jeep runs at 210 all day and they say that is it's best operating temp too.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Mine started running a little hot 196 changed thermostat no joy 63.00 radiator did the trick Amazon if your handy no big whoop

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What fun getting to that thermostat, eh? I suffered that job because it was running hot. No change, time wasted.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Mine was sticking tested on stove in a pan of water after changing it also changed temp sender got the dreaded ——— which turned out to be a bad ground on the head just above the thermostat housing soldered it back up and good to go

1 - 13 of 13 Posts