Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I wanted to know what your opinion is on how many miles a cobalt will probably last until the engine needs replacing. Assume an even mix of city and highway driving. Also assume the car is well taken care of. Would you say 200,000?

·
Registered
85 Posts
For motor replacement, I'd say 300,000 aslong as you have steady oil changes, and replace any parts that go. But that being said, Iv'e seen timing chain gone and head gaskets with in 50,000 so, depends on the driver and how they baby it.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Jonno, it also depends on the type of parts used, of course, something of low quality is more likely to go before something with a little better backing. So depending on what parts were used in the initial build of the car, could also affect the lifespan of that particular motor.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
my brother in law is a mechanic, he says they last 160,000 until they start to get shitty.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Yes, as long as you are using some good parts, there is no reason why it should not last a long time.

·
Premium Member
3,783 Posts
depends on way to many things, there are always lemons in the basket, crappy parts gm decided to put in, the driver/owner(s), if its maintained and not just replacing old parts that go out, better to replace parts that have a recommended time/mile thing in the manual and not just wait for something to go. take 3 balts for instance, all driven the same way, same maintaince. One might go at 75K, the next at 125K and the last still kicking fine at 250K. I would say 200k is not to much to ask out of the car, but w/ all the electronics and stuff who knows anymore. This also does not go for the Cobalt but any car really.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Come on everyone knows american cars and trucks are better then their crappy competitiors. My dad drives a chevy tahoe, at 165,000 right now. The only problem he ever had with this car was a burnt out blinker so far. My sisters accord... transmission fell apart at 68,000 miles. i guess it depends on the driver like most of you stated though.

·
Registered
89 Posts
well i work at a chevrolet dealer ship the foreighn cars are outlasting these american things far better...a typical hondais going strong at over 250,000 miles americans make these things to break.and now are making all kinds of special tools for each specific car..us americans are making it hard on ourselves we better improve soon before there gone..LONG LIVE THE U.S.A

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
well i work at a chevrolet dealer ship the foreighn cars are outlasting these american things far better...a typical hondais going strong at over 250,000 miles americans make these things to break.and now are making all kinds of special tools for each specific car..us americans are making it hard on ourselves we better improve soon before there gone..LONG LIVE THE U.S.A
yes....foriegn cars such as hondas are pushing over 200,000 miles on them....i dont think some car companys build there cars to last forever now adays like they used to ...also ...alot of the new cars are made like tin cans and tend to crinkle and get beat up alot easier then the old cars that were made of a stronger metal however they were all built like tanks and most had at least a V-6 in them . Although these cars are built so cheaply they still have better crash ratings then the older cars so it just goes to show you how technology has an impact on this as well.

·
Premium Member
3,783 Posts
As for foreign rides going forever, yea they do. My g/f has an '01 Corolla, it was a hand me down from her older sister. It was not kept up that well but not bad, my g/f however does not do shit to it, it went almost a year or possibly longer w/out an oil change, and is driven hard by her( I want to smack her sometimes). It has about 143K, NEVER had a single problem since her sister got it(used w/ 60K on the clock). I hate the car but damn, its been reliable where say, a gm or other American car would have quite along time ago because of the lack of up keep and that LLLLLOOOONNNNNGGGG period w/out an oil change. When I finally got the time and bought the stuff and did the change for her I do not think more than a quart came out haha.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Honestly its got to be owner/car variables. Some cars suck no matter what brand, it happens. Some people dont treat their cars correctly, or ignore sounds longer then others. Over all, their are more imports lasting longer, but if you keep up with replacing the parts that go out, you should be fine.... no easy answer lol

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have 75,000 miles on mine now and it looks and runs like the day I bought it. All I have done to it was replace 2 tires,regular oil changes and replaced the air filter every 30,000 miles. The car was in the dealer 2 years ago for warped rotors and the recall on the wiring harness. That is all.

·
Registered
22 Posts
The car was in the dealer 2 years ago for warped rotors and the recall on the wiring harness. That is all.
not to drive this off topic or threadjack, but did this cause your A/C to stop working? could you provide me with any TSB #s or anything... my a/c has been intermittent since I bought my '05 sedan base with 60k... now at 83k miles it's totally crapped out... and it's getting really hot here in West Texas.

mattjordan added 1 Minutes and 25 Seconds later...

My 2006 Balt has 39,000 miles. Steering column and intermediate shaft were replaced. Steering improved. For about 2 months, now the same problem is back.
I know I'm not the only one.

same here... it's fixing to get it's 3rd intermediate shaft in my '05... I wish GM would address this obviously recurring issue

·
Registered
17 Posts
not to drive this off topic or threadjack, but did this cause your A/C to stop working? could you provide me with any TSB #s or anything... my a/c has been intermittent since I bought my '05 sedan base with 60k... now at 83k miles it's totally crapped out... and it's getting really hot here in West Texas.

same here... it's fixing to get it's 3rd intermediate shaft in my '05... I wish GM would address this obviously recurring issue

The A/C problem is usually either:
a) If it's not working at all... little or no air flow... compressor.
b) You have air flow but the air is hot even when set on the coolest setting... you need a freon recharge, but you might wanna take it in to be looked at for leaks in the system. Freon is very expensive anymore... I think a 30 lb tank goes for around $200.

·
Registered
703 Posts

It makes me wonder if this will be my last GM car. If it has to be replaced once (which shouldnt even happen on a car this new), then its fixed thats one thing. But when GM puts in the same faulty intermediate shaft only to have it fail again within months that is beyond unacceptable. I am thoroughly disgusted right now.

·
Banned
384 Posts
lol this is becuase domestic cars produce enough to power for stuff to break =)

P1mpsy0r1c3 added 4 Minutes and 18 Seconds later...

I have 75,000 miles on mine now and it looks and runs like the day I bought it. All I have done to it was replace 2 tires,regular oil changes and replaced the air filter every 30,000 miles. The car was in the dealer 2 years ago for warped rotors and the recall on the wiring harness. That is all.
YOURE STILL ON 2 STOCK TIRES?! good god! Kudos to you.

i burned my tires off a few weeks ago and i only have 21k miles haha

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.