Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many miles will these cars run before they start breaking down? I have an 09 with 104,000 on it. Needed a fuel pump on it at 90K. That's it

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
The engine and transmissions in these cars are very tough so as long as you keep up with maintenance our cars should last a long time. Its just the little things that seem to have issues. Currently sitting at 120k miles and havent had 1 issue.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I don't know what the previous owner did, but I'm at about 140k and my only issue is the 4th gear synchro. GM says it's common problem, but not common enough to make a recall about it. Said it won't affect performance, but it's annoying as hell.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
the only thing ive really done that isn't maintenance is the water pump. im at 157k km so almost 100k miles and it makes me happy how reliable it is.

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Typical EVAP solenoid has crapped out on both of my cobalts, before 50k miles.

Otherwise, just typical fluids/brakes/tires.

If taken care of, timing chain/dampner is really the only thing to worry about...around 150k+

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
that's bad luck

·
Registered
8 Posts
Currently at 116k miles, thus far only factory recalls for fuel pump and power steering ('07)...... THATS IT!!!

Dealership told me I needed a new throttle, lol. Nothing a $5 can of throttle cleaner couldn't fix. Otherwise, just oil changes, two fuel filter changes and some fe5 suspension on the way. I'll definitely get 200k miles out of mine.

2007 Cocalt LT - best $10,000 I ever spent :bigsmile:

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
One of my friends got his 07 Cobalt in 2006 thinking it would have to do until his company figured out the dealings for a VW Jetta. He's a saleman on the road and puts in the Kms. When the company came back with the Okay for him to switch, he asked if he could keep his Cobalt. He's still running the only Cobalt for Wurth in our area, most Jetta's have started to be replaced. He is closing up on 600,000Kms and it is still going strong. He says it has been the best car he has ever had on the road, he has changed the driver's seat 3 times but is still running same engine and same auto trans. Their company is strict on vehicle maintenance. He was offered a new 2014 Jetta and he said unless they could find him a low miles 2010 he was Okay with status quo.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
One of my friends got his 07 Cobalt in 2006 thinking it would have to do until his company figured out the dealings for a VW Jetta. He's a saleman on the road and puts in the Kms. When the company came back with the Okay for him to switch, he asked if he could keep his Cobalt. He's still running the only Cobalt for Wurth in our area, most Jetta's have started to be replaced. He is closing up on 600,000Kms and it is still going strong. He says it has been the best car he has ever had on the road, he has changed the driver's seat 3 times but is still running same engine and same auto trans. Their company is strict on vehicle maintenance. He was offered a new 2014 Jetta and he said unless they could find him a low miles 2010 he was Okay with status quo.
That's insane mileage!!!!! Ha and everyone thinks cobalts are pieces of crap and they are lasting longer than their foreign brothers and sisters

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've got a 2010 I purchased new off the lot. Currently it has 114,000 and I've only had to replace the front brake pads, and GM covered one small warranty repair. Other than that, just regular oil, fluid changes, plus I upgraded to 16" wheels back in 2011. Running strong. I have a 92-mile round trip daily for work.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Man seeing the mileage you guys have on your cars is really putting my mind at ease. I have a 2010 with 51k on it. Looks like if I take care of it I'll have a car for the next 10+ years!

·
Registered
435 Posts
Nearing 43k on my 2010 LT coupe. Another 2 years to pay off but she'll still be young.

·
Registered
340 Posts
The 06 LS I bought last week for my daughter has 133K and I wasn't worried a bit. If the car looks clean & doesn't show any tell-tale signs of abuse/neglect...they could go as long as you want. I like the 2.2L Ecotec motors...bullet-proof!

·
Registered
91 Posts
i'm at 244k miles with my 2006 ls 5 speed, got her in 2007 with 19k, and havent had to replace any thing out of the normal except wheel bearings. havent even had the power steering recalled fix. i figure if it aint broke yet it'll be fine for a little longer

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.