Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a thread to see who has had the most oil changes in the least amount of time. Currently on vacation and my wife went to Kansas for a friends wedding got back had the oil changed and right now we are working on 3100 miles since last Friday July 30th, it is now the evening of August 5th and we still have 3 days here and the 1300 mile trip back and another 1200 mile trip. So looking like 3 oil changes in about 2 and half weeks.
It has rained out here so I will also be sending pics about why some people dont have the desire to lower their vehicles

·
Registered
74 Posts
For the life of me, I can't find the oil change interval in the manual. The dealer said 3000, which seems low for most new cars. The OnSta update said 11000 and my oil life indicator states 83% at 1900 miles. So what is the proper interval? 2010 2.2L

·
Registered
84 Posts
For the life of me, I can't find the oil change interval in the manual. The dealer said 3000, which seems low for most new cars. The OnSta update said 11000 and my oil life indicator states 83% at 1900 miles. So what is the proper interval? 2010 2.2L
I've heard 5000 miles average and 3000 if you do mostly city driving

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Read your manual about the in-dash oil change indicator (Driver Information Center). Use that and common sense. Unnecessary oil/filter changes waste a lot of time and money, is not environmentally sound. A lot has changed in modern engine production and lubrication compounds since the old days. This is not 1955. Synthetic, while meets/exceeds GM performance standards is also a big sales gimmick and a total waste in a 2.2 for street driving.
Good rule of thumb there is, if your car came factory equipped with such oil and is required by the manufacturer, do it... Other than that. Keep that money in your pocket, not theirs.

·
Get Out The Sawzall
1,856 Posts
Technically if I understand correctly by talking to the salesman and reading the manual and other threads on this site, you do not have to change the oil until your car tells you to do so, But i am at 5000 miles and 50%, and I am going to change mine this weekend. At this rate that would only mean I would have to change oil every 9 or 10 thousand miles. But I am old school and was really reluctant to not change the oil at 3000 and let it go to 5000. I personally do not believe any oil can withstand 10,000 miles without breaking down synthetic or not.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
i change mine every 3-4 thousand with full synthetic high mileage oil, mostly because if i continue to do so, valvoline guarantees my engine components to 300,000 miles, and should anything go wrong with them, they will pay to get it fixed

·
Premium Member
2,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i change mine every 3-4 thousand with full synthetic high mileage oil, mostly because if i continue to do so, valvoline guarantees my engine components to 300,000 miles, and should anything go wrong with them, they will pay to get it fixed
Same here with the Valvoline thing. I use synthetic because of what it is---synthetic or labratory made not from the ground so less demand for more drilling and the results thereof. I am also a fan of oil is cheaper than engines and other major components.
Oil changes 2-3 times a month regularly , wow, that is a lot of miles.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Change your oil every 3000..... Trust me!!!

·
Registered
353 Posts
Unnecessary oil/filter changes waste a lot of time and money, is not environmentally sound.
^^ Agreed.

Although used engine oil is recycled, there is only limited uses for it. According to the US Federal Highway Administration, in 2007 there were nearly 250 million registered motor vehicles in the US alone. If every vehicle would change its oil twice a month, at, say, 1.5 gallon per car, that would be 9 billion gallons of used motor oil in the US alone! Food for thought...
Black 2010 SS/TC – G85 |Debadged | GMS1 | Hahn 3” DP and Catback | AEM intake | GM racing pedals | OZ Ultraleggera rims |DEPO 4th gen projectors w/ 6K HIDs | smoked LED tails | 20% 3M tint |Pioneer Avic Z110bt head unit, Alpine PDX-5 amp, Focal speakers all around

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3835837

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Ok, OP. Since the last oil change, you're looking at 5600 miles if you don't do a change until after your next trips are finished.

To be honest, that is completely normal, especially since I believe a majority of those miles are highway, which doesn't do a ton of wear on the oil. I'd refrain from changing it until after the trip.

·
Premium Member
2,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
---------- Post added at 01:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:59 PM ----------

[/COLOR]Originally posted byn colodude18:
Although used engine oil is recycled, there is only limited uses for it. According to the US Federal Highway Administration, in 2007 there were nearly 250 million registered motor vehicles in the US alone. If every vehicle would change its oil twice a month, at, say, 1.5 gallon per car, that would be 9 billion gallons of used motor oil in the US alone! Food for thought..

Actually there are more uses being developed, there is one company getting bigger every day that takes the used oil, purifies the oil and then sells it for people who want environmentally sound options. Supposedly as good as new oil. THe military is also using this oil inthe ground fleet along with recycled antifreeze. There are also companies that may not recycle the oil but sell the oil after purification to be used as heating oil, so another way to reduce the need for pretroleum products.
IMO, anyone who changes their oil twice a month is driving a lot of miles and personally do not know anyone who drives that much. Not everyone changes twice a month as 3000k per month is rare, the norm is once every three months.

·
Registered
74 Posts
My oil life indicator would be consistent with 10K between oil changes. I just don't trust that. I drive this thing a lot of miles in a short time, with a mix of highway and city. So I'm thinking 5000.

·
Bamble Ramble!!!!
567 Posts
tend to change it around every three months or when I hit 5K in miles. But im i'm going cross country...roswell is a long drive... I will change to oil, just to be safe.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I change mine about every 3-4 weeks, usually more towards the 3 than 4. Its my daily driver until my Project gets done for the most part then i will find another DD. my 08 just hit 50k last saturday night. and tonight its at 50262 lol. Sundays are my only day off or it would have been more. Always every 3000 miles since new. Always Castrol with AC delco filter. mondays through saturdays usually about 100 miles a night. Sometimes more sometimes less.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.