Chevy Cobalt Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 08 Cobalt with an auto tranny and i was wondering how much hp i can run before i need a new trans thanks

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
I know someone that had close to 600whp on a stock f35 trans twin disc clutch no problems. I also know someone that was running 400whp on an lnf and blew his tranny to pieces during a 5krpm roll in 3rd gear no launching. different final drive gear may have had something to do with it. it's all how you maintain it and the driver.

the auto's will supposedly take more power than manual.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I know someone that had close to 600whp on a stock f35 trans twin disc clutch no problems. I also know someone that was running 400whp on an lnf and blew his tranny to pieces during a 5krpm roll in 3rd gear no launching. different final drive gear may have had something to do with it. it's all how you maintain it and the driver.

the auto's will supposedly take more power than manual.
um no

·
Registered
83 Posts
the auto can handle 300 tq max, i wouldnt recommend going over 250 tq and 300 hp, or you will risk failure, note any upgrade in hp/tq will speed up the destruction of the transmission but with the proper preparations the transmission can handle anything our engine can put off, if you wish to go above 250tq or 300 hp, a new torque converter trans mounts and a trans cooler would be the easiest upgrade, bringing u up to about 400 hp b4 something else fails everything u need to know about our transmission is found here. and yes the stock auto handles more than the stock manual (250tq b4 clutch fail) and with proper tuning a automatic is always faster than a manual because u take driver error out of the picture. http://gmtunersource.com/index.php/racertech/ecotec-build-book

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
the auto can handle 300 tq max, i wouldnt recommend going over 250 tq and 300 hp, or you will risk failure, note any upgrade in hp/tq will speed up the destruction of the transmission but with the proper preparations the transmission can handle anything our engine can put off, if you wish to go above 250tq or 300 hp, a new torque converter trans mounts and a trans cooler would be the easiest upgrade, bringing u up to about 400 hp b4 something else fails everything u need to know about our transmission is found here. and yes the stock auto handles more than the stock manual (250tq b4 clutch fail) and with proper tuning a automatic is always faster than a manual because u take driver error out of the picture. http://gmtunersource.com/index.php/racertech/ecotec-build-book
I second this.

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
^damn now when i go tC imma have to upgrade even more :p owell might as well upgrade to top-line sh*t then and get a little mor hp on top of it all.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Manual tranny will hold up to bigger numbers then the auto... its the stock pressure plate that sucks. Its not heavy enough to hold much more the 280hp....

should be safe with an auto if your under 300hp...

·
Registered
83 Posts
the manual tranny will only hold up to more if the clutch is replaced, but its almost the same as the auto, the clutch plates in the auto will all fail at about 400tq, and the manual transmission can handle about that b4 something fails, but like i said its always better to be on the safe side and if u look around gm has done alot of transmission buildups (most step from 400-600 and then the one for 1000hp) and there are parts lists around for doing an auto or manual up to any level u want. but remember that if you build anything up u should look at every part from the engine to the wheels and ask yourself what will break next. and as much as u may want to, never put more power than another part can handle and say when it breaks ill fix it cuz if something breaks it may break 8 other things too.

·
Registered
124 Posts
That's sound advice, thanks.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.