Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a cobalt offered to me and I was wondering what you guys thought it would be worth.

2005 base model cobalt 2 door ecotech 2.2 manual tranny with air conditioning, cruise control, full body kit, ram air hood, cherrybomb muffler, ram air intake, full leather recaro ss seats, 17" konig rims, lowered 2", new tires on front, new brakes up front, halos, hid kit, billet grille, ss cluster, aftermarket deck with new speakers up front. Very little rust, it was undercoated last year and wasn't winter driven for the past couple years. The car has 156,000 kilometers(~97,000 miles) on it, and less than 40,000 kilometers(~25,000 miles) on the tranny. Maintenance was always done on time and is in good shape.

Any opinions would be appreciated, thank you.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
how much does he want?

---------- Post added at 08:59 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:58 AM ----------

I hope he knows...
that when you put that much money into a car, you aren't going to get what you put into back.

---------- Post added at 09:00 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:59 AM ----------

You can buy a 2007 TURBOCHARGED cobalt for around 10K....
so I would definitely explore before dropping anything over 10k on that car.
2005 base model...
probably 5-6K if even

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well he offered it as a trade on a truck that I have, truck's value is 6500-7000, however it does have high mileage(235,000km) which I think might affect the resale value. And I'm not sure how prices differ between the US and Canada, where I live.

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
My stock 05 ls (same thing as you have here without SS stuff) was totaled for 6k and 144k on the clock. Trade in value probably would be around 4.5-5k and private sale I would think around 6k. Personal opinion.

---------- Post added at 11:07 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:06 AM ----------

Modifications dont mean diddly when you sell.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
If you don't need a truck, You will probably save the difference in gas alone in the next 6 months. If that's the car you want !!!!!

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
try to get like 500-1k in cash for your truck for the car.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
I agree with the above. Here you would be lucky to get 7k at full retail with the mileage. The only advantage you have is that there is a good chance he took care of it, and there is a lot less to do (if you like the custom work done at least).

·
Premium Member
3,783 Posts
Mods do not add to the value, one thing that drives me crazy is people thinking that. Just do a KBB or book value of your liking look up, typically you can give or get a little more with mods. My 47k mile ss/sc with $10k into it did not sell for $20k like peoples logic today would think. I sold it under book value, around 12-13k, a year ago for 10.5

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
I agree with the above. Here you would be lucky to get 7k at full retail with the mileage. The only advantage you have is that there is a good chance he took care of it, and there is a lot less to do (if you like the custom work done at least).
I'm so sure he took care of it.
Who randomly replaces their tranny at 80,000 miles? lol

---------- Post added at 12:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:49 PM ----------

It looks good, but under the fabic, i bet it runs horrible.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Runs perfectly, the previous owner tried to do some work on the tranny and screwed it up completely, then sold it to this kid who's dad owns a transmission shop so he swapped one it. I ended up doing the trade and couldn't be happier, it drives like a dream. It has the eibach 1.9/2 coil springs in it and still feels pretty darn good. The clutch is a little(lot) different(better) than my 1990 jeep yj so it will take some getting used to, but I'm not complaining about the ride quality after driving a double leaf spring solid axle go kart around.

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
Welcome to the cobalt family. Let us know if you have questions. Plenty of info and resources here.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I guess my first one would be the reason why it's pulling to the side. When I drove it home it was driving perfectly straight, no pulling or anything, now after a little while of driving around town(hitting bumps and stuff) it pulls to the right. Is it possible it was knocked out of alignment?

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
I guess my first one would be the reason why it's pulling to the side. When I drove it home it was driving perfectly straight, no pulling or anything, now after a little while of driving around town(hitting bumps and stuff) it pulls to the right. Is it possible it was knocked out of alignment?
And the fun begins..........go hit a few bumps on the other side lol

---------- Post added at 08:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:45 PM ----------

Kidding aside you're going to have to get it checked over anyways, it's a used car. So check out the front suspension to make sure nothing is about to drop. All parts are cheap on the Cobalt so don't worry too much. The money you save on gas this week will probably pay for it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.