Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking of purchasing one of those dash trim kits. Anyway, from the looks of the pictures they look just like cheap stickers that you put in your car...has anyone ever bought these before? I want to know how good they are. Thanks in advance.:D

·
Registered
165 Posts
Paint the trim yourself, its a lot easier than it looks!

·
Registered
236 Posts
chances are if they look like cheap stickers then they probably are lol just paint the trim, it's pretty easy :)

·
Registered
768 Posts
If they're over I'd say $175 new then they're probably actual moldings that aren't just stickers. If you go on ebay and look for them brand new I'm 95% sure that they'll be the sticker type

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
165 Posts
Yeah you do but its less diff than you think. I was originally just going to do the moldings in the doors because they were scratched up, but then i attempted to take the rest of the trim out and it worked well. Just some screws and clips. At some points it feels like your breaking them but your not. And if worse comes to worse and you break a clip its easily fixed. Trust me paying 190 is not worth it when you could pay 10- 15 bucks and have the reward of saying you did it... heres mine:

·
Registered
575 Posts
Honestly if I got one I'd only get the nickel coated one. No offense to other's but I think the colored trim pieces look tacky. That's just IMO

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah you do but its less diff than you think. I was originally just going to do the moldings in the doors because they were scratched up, but then i attempted to take the rest of the trim out and it worked well. Just some screws and clips. At some points it feels like your breaking them but your not. And if worse comes to worse and you break a clip its easily fixed. Trust me paying 190 is not worth it when you could pay 10- 15 bucks and have the reward of saying you did it... heres mine:

cool, well if it's as easy as you say then I might give it a try. I like how you put the cobalt thing on your dash. I'ma steal that idea:eek:

·
Registered
165 Posts
haha thanks

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
one last question...when I do take out the plastic trim, do I need to do anything special first or do I just start spray painting them and putting on the clear coat last? Also, how many layers of paint should I put on them and how long should I wait between spraying layers?

·
Registered
165 Posts
haha post your pics, i love being an inspiration.

JustMiller25 added 3 Minutes and 49 Seconds later...

I primed mine (I avoided sanding because i get angry with it, but if you use a high grit paper than it helps the paint to stick) So i primed 2 or 3 coats (5 mins between coats), then i waited an hr and began painting, I did three good coats waited 10 mins inbetween coats. Then i waited 2 hrs and did 2 coats of clearcoat (10 mins in between) and waited 14 hrs before installing. But you can use any time interval, id say stick with this or what the can says.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I used this double sided emblem tape, i cant remember the name but it worked well for me, how ever my friend tried the same thing with his mustang pony on the dash and it didnt stay, Ive had mine on for about a yr and no probs, i would advise some sort of 3m tape tho, bc 3m is the shit

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
it's called 3M double sided adhesive tape, should be able to get it at most hardware stores and parts shops i would believe pepboys and autozone would have it, Lowes def. should

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.