Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Apparently, when someone buys a new car under the "Cash for Clunkers" program, the dealership has to "disable" the clunker that they trade in. I saw this video on Car & Driver's website - it shows how they disable the engine.

Car and Driver Blog

In in case you couldn't watch it or just want a description, they drain the oil from the engine and fill it with a sodium silicate solution, which when heated gets hard and abrasive. They run the engine on this mixture at 2000 RPM until it gives up.

To me this whole thing seems kinda wasteful. That looked like a perfectly good Ranger!

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
My buddy was telling me about how they do that. I had no idea they did it on a decent car like that tho

·
Registered
678 Posts
I could understand doing that on a car thats on its way out anyway but if it still runs someone can use it. Thats just ridiculous

·
Registered
446 Posts
Doesn't look like an ecological way of doing things too:
1: You waste gas
2: By wasting that gas to kill the engine, you create emissions
3: Eruption of coolant spills everywhere causing a mess (probably wouldn't happen everytime).

·
Registered
496 Posts
so for what reason exactly do they kill these cars? am i missing something? i dont see a logical reason

·
Registered
496 Posts

·
Registered
678 Posts
Yeah but people in 3rd world countries dont give a damn about fuel effieciency. they would be thrilled to even have a car for their hospitals and such

·
Registered
678 Posts
Yeah well they kinda suck, they just spent like 200 million on 3 new jets for senators or somethin like that. they're all useless.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Connecticut is going into our 3rd month without a budget

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.