Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Sorry I forgot to get pictures, but it's very simple.

1. Jack the car up on each side and put jack stands. Jack it right where the rear axle bolts on to the body, so you can let the axle hang freely

2. Remove wheels.

3. Use a 21MM socket to remove the bottom bolt on the shock.

4. Use a 19MM socket to remove the top bolt on the shock.

5. Remove shock, and replace with new shock.

6. Finger tighten top screw

7. Have someone lift the axle slightly, (or use another jack) so that you can get the bottom bolt in. Tighten it till it starts getting tight, then have the friend let go of the axle.

8. Repeat 3-7 for the other shock.

9. Torque the top bolt to 66 Ft-Lbs (both shocks)

10. Torque the bottom bolt 81 Ft-Lbs (both shocks)

11. Reinstall wheels.

12. Enjoy!

·
Banned
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
HEY! theres real no need for pictures a 5 year old can do this lol don't disapprove my how-to :mad:

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
im so confused.... pics would really help.

·
Banned
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well its too late i already installed them i cant get pics im not doing it all over again how can u be confused the steps are detailed as much as possible

·
Premium Member
745 Posts
Be careful when letting the axle hang freely, as the weight is being supported by nothing except the brake lines when both shocks are off.

Allowing that amount of stress on the brake lines could cause serious damage. I usually do only one side at a time, using a jack to support the weight of the axle at the shock's fully extended position.

Safety first.

·
Banned
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Your doing it one at a time anyway, so it won't make a difference. The axle is never gonna be 100% hanging in the first place. It's only gonna hang that 1 second when you remove the shock. That's when you go to step 7 to have someone lift it or use another jack to align it. And if you follow my steps, both shocks wont be off at the same time :laugh:

·
Sneezing Daily
1,155 Posts
I thought there was already a how to on how to install shocks? Shanks did one... but pics would help, just saying...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.