Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is from the Haynes Manual, but I added my recommendations as well.

Fuel Filter Replacement

1. The fuel filter is mounted under the vehicle, near the fuel tank. NOTE: on 2007 models with California PZEV emissions systems, the fuel filter is part of the fuel pump module assembly in the fuel tank.

2. Relieve the fuel system pressure.

3. Raise the vehicle up and support it with jackstands. (A car lift will work as well).

4. Inspect the fittings at both ends of the filter to see if they are clean. If more than a light coat of dust is present, clean the fittings before proceeding. (I would clean the no matter how much dust is on them, to help prevent fuel system contamination). (You may need a fuel line seperator tool. Most auto parts store carry them)

5. Disconnect the fuel lines at the fuel filter. Detach the lines, one at a time; be prepared for fuel spillage.

6. After the lines are detached, check the fittings for damage and distortion. If they are damged in any way during removal, new ones must be used when the lines are reattached to the new filter.

7. Remove the fuel filter from the mounting clamp, while noting the direction the fuel filter is installed.

8. Install the new filter in the same direction. When reconnecting the fuel lines, make sure the fittings attach securely - if they come off, a fire could result.

9. start the engine and check for fuel leaks.

Pictures will be added when I change mine.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
great write up, just need some pics to go up
I'm gunna snap a few pics of mine... even thought I'm not changing my fuel filter yet. I'll use the pic a refrence

·
Registered
117 Posts
Mind if I explain and post pics of the change? I just did it and I can take pics of the filter and what all to do in better detail.

Figured I'd ask first before performing a "thread jack".

FYI, if it's the factory filter, it's gonna be a lot harder than it sounds.............:notrust:

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
you didnt mention how to actually detach the fittings. this is what gets most people stuck. you'll see a part of the fitting you can press. push the line towards the filter, press, pull it off. done.
but otherwise nice write up!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.