Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the sedan tails when you tint them! I know it sounds like a dumb question but I wanted to hear what the sedan owners all did when they decided to smoke they're tails. I want to do mine sooo effin bad but I think the local cops would pull me over every chance they got. And what you used; film VHT....whatever. Any insight on the situation would be appreciated!

---------- Post added at 05:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:26 PM ----------

*Their

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It sounds horrible but I've tried to just tape over the reverse light and cut it out, but I always end up with like a....Semi-circle or an oval. I think I just suck at taping stuff. Any other suggestions? Like a template or something?

·
Registered
296 Posts
haven't seen any templates, but it took some time and a sharp razor blade for me to get mine done

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ugh. I have no skill with the painters tape. lol I even called a body shop to see if they'd just mix some clear-coat and black base and shoot my tails but they said they didn't want to get into trouble by tinting my tails for me. Bastards.

·
Registered
489 Posts
When I did it on my coupe I put a flashlight in the hole and used that to cut around the reverse bulb

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
^ That's pretty ingenious. Did you use any clear on ur tails, or just VHT and polish?

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
I used a protractor. Works great. Measure the light.place a couple strips of painters tape on a table. Get ur protractor And place the point in the center and the pencil end on the side. Remove and place on light

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
I did as said above, placed masking tape over the reverse light, then use a trouble light to illuminate the light and see throught the lense, then used an exacto knife to cut it out...and I nightshaded the desired color, then removed the tape, cleared 5 coats, sanded, buffed, polished and waxed...lol

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks for all the help guys! hopefully ill be doing this soon!

---------- Post added at 10:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:43 PM ----------

Ph, hey duffy what kind of clear did you use? i used the krylon stuff on my grill when i painted it black and it kinda sucked lol.

·
Registered
489 Posts
^ That's pretty ingenious. Did you use any clear on ur tails, or just VHT and polish?
Two Coats of VHT and thats all. My Buddy is a genius with the rattle can lol

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
i dont know if its the same on the sedans but on the coupes there is a lil indention where the reverse light meets the tail light. i just put tape over the whole light then pushed the tape in the indention with a toothpick then used a razor blade to cut in the indetion, then peel off the excess rtape

·
Registered
91 Posts
I used a protractor. Works great. Measure the light.place a couple strips of painters tape on a table. Get ur protractor And place the point in the center and the pencil end on the side. Remove and place on light
I believe your talking about a compass.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.