Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to buy a Cobalt with electronic stability control. Is there a way to confirm whether the car has it via the Vehicle identification number (VIN)?

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Never seen a Cobalt with Stabilitrac , ABS and traction control is all I've ever seen.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
According to my RPO list if your car has RPO code JL4 it would have Stability control or active ABS. But this was an option available, not many cars had this if any. It became mandatory in 2011 in Canada.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info. I have checked over 20 Cobalt VIN numbers using a VIN decoder, and have yet to find one with Stabilitrak. Cobalts that are advertised with stability control turn out to have traction control, not stability control. The site I linked above, the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety, Highway Loss Data Institute site, lists electronic stability control as optional on the Cobalt. I am beginning to think that "optional" means very rare, if available at all.

---------- Post added at 10:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:44 PM ----------

I checked a few more VINs, two of which were Cobalt SS models. The SS models had the JL4 code that Coby7 mentioned above. Two cars is not a meaningful sample, but perhaps Stabilitrak was only used on Cobalt SS models.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.