Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Gawd of Thunda!
1,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well My ss door panels where unfortunately damaged in the shipping process. Understandable considering how fragile they are and hard to ship. I was hoping I would be able to use small screws to hold it in, but at some points it doesn't look possible, looking to get your opinions on the best way to fix these panels.

So is using small screws with washers the best option or? on my ls panels I used a whole pack of glue sticks, but didn't work out as good.

It's just this part

and the door insert

Also I got tweeters now and wondering, if I just splice into my bottom door speaker or should I run a whole new wire? Assuming I'd be ok to just splice.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
assuming it's only broken that far. once you have them up, you'll probably not notice the separation. If you screw it together it'll be ugly, and no glue in the world will hold up to door abuse IMO

·
Registered
589 Posts
I used epoxy and a clamp. Mine separated in the same spot just not as far as yours. It's been through the hot Indiana summer and is still holding as it should. I used a general epoxy from loctite but I think they have one specifically for plastic. Look for the plastic type. It should be stamped into the backside somewhere. I think it's ABS. Just be careful not to get any on parts that will be visible.

Good luck!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Gawd of Thunda!
1,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I used epoxy and a clamp. Mine separated in the same spot just not as far as yours. It's been through the hot Indiana summer and is still holding as it should. I used a general epoxy from loctite but I think they have one specifically for plastic. Look for the plastic type. It should be stamped into the backside somewhere. I think it's ABS. Just be careful not to get any on parts that will be visible.

Good luck!

I'll have to look into that! Did you use allot? All the glue I see is in small tubes..

·
Registered
589 Posts
Again, verify the plastic type if the door panel as some plastics are difficult to bond. This stuff bonds many types of plastic. I just put a bit between the the two pieces then clamped the panel together. Then on the backside, around the tabs and posts, apply some more and let it sit, don't bother it while it cures and let it sit as long as recommended. I think I left mine over night. Here is their plastic bonder.

Loctite 1363118 0.85-Ounce Plastic Syringe Epoxy Plastic Bonder:Amazon:Home Improvement

·
Gawd of Thunda!
1,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I hate canada... I googled it and it said homedepot had some, go to home depot... only available in murica..

I settled for a similar product hope it works

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
did the mounting holes on the panel itself break or is it just the plastic rivets that broke? you could always pick up a plastic welder or something like that and redo the plastic rivets...

·
Gawd of Thunda!
1,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
did the mounting holes on the panel itself break or is it just the plastic rivets that broke? you could always pick up a plastic welder or something like that and redo the plastic rivets...
yeah like all the plastic tabs that where melted flat, well the flat piece is gone and all of tgem so its just the stub. If you get what I mean,

and plastic welder? never heard of such a thing XD

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
something like this..... its insanely cheap, I wouldn't trust it for any major repairs or anything but it would do just fine on something like that...
Plastic Welding Kit 80 Watt Iron

---------- Post added at 01:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:49 PM ----------

I used one of those on the front bumper of my old car just to hold it together, it didn't look pretty but it held great

·
Gawd of Thunda!
1,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
something like this..... its insanely cheap, I wouldn't trust it for any major repairs or anything but it would do just fine on something like that...
Plastic Welding Kit 80 Watt Iron

---------- Post added at 01:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:49 PM ----------

I used one of those on the front bumper of my old car just to hold it together, it didn't look pretty but it held great
looks like a normal soldering iron? Wonder if I could just buy some sort of plastic and use a soldering iron outside?

·
Registered
210 Posts
looks like a normal soldering iron? Wonder if I could just buy some sort of plastic and use a soldering iron outside?
You should be able to. You'll probably need alot of plastic. I would go to a junkyard and take a window crank, or something thats some sturdy plastic. Or if you know where there is a crappy car, take something plastic off of it.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
OR you did say you were just throwing out the old door panels right? you know that plastic would be the same type and its right there...

---------- Post added at 03:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:51 PM ----------

but yeah i guess i don't see any reason a soldering iron wouldn't work, but it might make it go by quicker if you use a chisel tip on it..

·
Registered
210 Posts
OR you did say you were just throwing out the old door panels right? you know that plastic would be the same type and its right there...
Ding ding!! Score. I didnt catch that part. Lol

·
Registered
202 Posts
My opinion would be to get a good amount of Loc-tight (sp?) all in between the "break" and then as you hold it together snugly toss 1 small-medium screw in the back part (where it would meet the Jam when closed). So that the screw is hidden when the door is closed.

Inserts- Only loc tite unless you plan on doing an intricate pattern with bolts like i did. (NOT RECOMMENDED)

·
Registered
455 Posts
FYI, a plastic welding iron is just a soldering iron...you were right there, I bought a $3 iron from harbor freight and I use that with scraps of plastic, just clean it really good when you are done while its still hot with steel wool

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.