Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
DIY-how to remove moisture from a headlight housing for dummies(no pun intended)

1.)Take the headlight off the car (two 10mm bolts)
2.)Take the all of the lightbulbs out of the headlight
3.)Let the headlight air out/dry without the bulbs
4.)Take window sealant (like for house windows, I used clear) and place around the periphery of the seal(reseal them basically)
5.)Allow inside of lights to dry as well as the sealant
6.)Reinstall the bulbs
7.)Plug-In and install the headlight
8.)Make sure the Headlight is functioning properly

DONE =)

·
I cut stuff
6,238 Posts
you can blow compressed air or use a hair dryer to blow inside through the bulb holes to speed up the process.

·
Registered
670 Posts
DIY-how to remove moisture from a headlight housing for dummies(no pun intended)

1.)Take the headlight off the car (two 10mm bolts)
2.)Take the all of the lightbulbs out of the headlight
3.)Let the headlight air out/dry without the bulbs
4.)Take window sealant (like for house windows, I used clear) and place around the periphery of the seal(reseal them basically)
5.)Allow inside of lights to dry as well as the sealant
6.)Reinstall the bulbs
7.)Plug-In and install the headlight
8.)Make sure the Headlight is functioning properly

DONE =)
you can blow compressed air or use a hair dryer to blow inside through the bulb holes to speed up the process.
^^^I did this and have had no problems ever since.

·
Registered
3 Posts
didnt work. more help please.

I tried resealing the whole outside of the headlight where the solid plastic meets the clear. It still has water in it even though i know that i got it all out. Dose anybody know where else the water would be coming in? i used automotive silicone that my dad had sitting in his garage. Would there possibly be a leak somewhere else?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Dont use a heat gun...

I got sick of water being inside my headlight. So i used a heat gun to dry the water. It worked but in the process i melted the driving light piece and now every once and a while it falls out. Just find some desiccant and put it in there for a week or so. I got all the water out but now i have a ruined headlight assembly. Gonna go get a new one from the junk yard. Probably cost like 100 bucks.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.