Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Oh well since I finished the front cf bar Im gonna start to wrap the rest of the trim. I also finished another set of cf mirror covers but they do have some flaws but not noticeable. BIG DISCOUNT!!! $45 shipped

·
Registered
678 Posts
how you get it that cheap?

·
Registered
101 Posts
damn thats gorgeous i never knew that u could wrap it and it would look that good i guess cause here everyone uses the cheap autozone vynl haha but its sexy never the less

·
Registered
254 Posts
from that ebay store that you linked, which epoxy should i get for the adhesive? then which for the skinning top layer?

·
Registered
254 Posts
yea ok skinning, but what about actually making a part, is it really hard, or expensive? how different is the process?
ive been looking into this alot more started skinning, theirs a few methods to make a part, ones for looks thats not skinning and then ones for strength or body panels is a bit different. ill see if i can find that video i Favorited on my other computer later. the pieces for look seems doable but the one for like body pieces with vacuum forming needs special equipment thats kinda expensive.

·
Registered
73 Posts
well i know that you can do vaccume forming with any food grade vacume sealer so depending on the size of the project thats not really unfeasible.

and after some research, the process is basically the same to make a part, it's like paper machete` with superglue, your doing a pretty similar thing but with a stonger substance (obviously NOT the vaccume method) i'm kinda interested in figuring out filler and making a proper paintable surface.

·
Registered
69 Posts
hey man is this the cf i want...i want it to look as real as can be..(skinning gonna try it out) 5.7oz Twill '1st Quality' Carbon Fiber Fabric

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Weight: 5.7osy
Weave: 2 x 2 Twill
Tow Size: 3K
Thickness: .010"
2x2 Twill carbon, attractive pattern. Gives 3-dimensional/diagonal appearance. More easily drapable than plain fabric, but also more delicate. Commonly used in aftermarket parts where you see the "carbon fiber look" 2x2 twill weave is a two over two under weave pattern.

5.7oz 2x2 TWILL- 50in WIDTH

and how much will i need to do my intearior

·
Registered
73 Posts
i dunno 10 yards, how much of the intierior do you want to do?

---------- Post added at 03:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:10 PM ----------

BTW

Weight: 5.7osy
Weave: 2 x 2 Twill
Tow Size: 3K
Thickness: .010"
2x2 Twill carbon, attractive pattern. Gives 3-dimensional/diagonal appearance. More easily drapable than plain fabric, but also more delicate. Commonly used in aftermarket parts where you see the "carbon fiber look" 2x2 twill weave is a two over two under weave pattern.

means basically nothing.
when your skinning, you really only care about it LOOKING like carbon fiber, therefore you could go with black fiberglass (in the 2x2 twill) it's way cheaper per yard, lighter wieght (to get coverage you'll use less.... strength to weight ratio still totally favors carbon fiber, but your not looking for added strength or lighter weight) and it doesn't fade or yellow like carbon fiber, thats important since your doing this for looks.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Hey Caesar. Guess what i'm going to attempt to wrap??? My roof haha then my trunk. Wish me luck

---------- Post added at 04:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:04 PM ----------

ALSO my biggest thing. SUNLIGHT Do i need to soak the CF in UV protectant spray? I dont want it fading

·
Registered
378 Posts
Love all u guys scrambling for answers lol

Try google bro ;)

---------- Post added at 03:15 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:14 AM ----------

I taught my self how to do fiberglass/carbon fiber work

ALL from YouTube and google

·
Premium Member
2,068 Posts
Yeah I'd take his advice^… Idk if you've seen his showoff, but he definitely knows what he's doing with carbon fiber

2005 cobalt base model coupe

21 - 38 of 38 Posts