Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well finally they sent me my power steering recall paper in the mail, so im gonna have my power steering back. so my question is, is there a way you can get the steering wheel off without the airbag going off? i know i could pull the fuse, but after that how could you?

·
Registered
3,545 Posts
disconnect the battery. wait 15 minutes. there are two little holes on the side that u stick something in and push the "rod" that's inside and that releases the airbag. Then you're still going to need a "steering wheel puller"

·
hawaii icon
3,089 Posts
Disconnect battery,
Pull the fuse,
Release the airbag clips by putting a small rod into the small holes on the side of you steering wheel.
There's 2 sets of wires, disconnect those.
Now the airbag is off.

In the middle you'll see the end of the steering column, it has a large nut on it, remove this.
Now your steering wheel is completely free of any fasteners. Unfortunately its such a tight fit on the shaft that it won't just pulling on it. go somewhere and pick up a steering wheel puller, attach it and slowly draw the steering wheel off the shaft.

When putting the steering wheel back make sure you line up the master spline correctly.

·
hawaii icon
3,089 Posts
Same here :p

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yeah i put a steering wheel in my old s10, but no air bags so i just didnt know how to get this one off. thanks guys!

·
Premium Member
2,473 Posts
Did the aftermarket start making airbag steering wheels?? I know Grant was making one for the GM trucks, didnt know they made them for cars already.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
i have a sparco wheel that ive been meaning to put in. one problem. i need to pass inspection to re register the car in 15 days. i have to re install the airbag, get a new gas cap and a new throttle body. consider this if you plan to go aftermarket.

·
Premium Member
2,473 Posts
i have a sparco wheel that ive been meaning to put in. one problem. i need to pass inspection to re register the car in 15 days. i have to re install the airbag, get a new gas cap and a new throttle body. consider this if you plan to go aftermarket.
Yea thats why I was asking. Also by removing the airbag, you are removing safety equipment, which can get a hefty ticket. One of my soldiers in Tennessee got a $500 fine for removing his.

·
hawaii icon
3,089 Posts
No prob man!

·
Registered
3,545 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.