Chevy Cobalt Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

How To: Install Head Unit (double Din Also)

82K views 100 replies 40 participants last post by  LoneWolf 
#1 ·
Hey guys!
Finally got my double din head unit installed on my 2009 cobalt coupe. This is my first full DIY so enjoy and hope it's detailed enough for you all!

Step 1:Remove dash trim until stock radio is as shown:

For full steps on removing dash trim refer to other DIY (how to:remove dash trim).
Now you will see 4 bolts around stock radio. Remove with wrench set. I believe it is no.6 or 7 metric.

Next step after removing 4 bolts is to pull back the stock radio, exposing the wiring behind it. The wiring connections behind the stock unit should look as shown:

Unplug the two harnesses from the radio as well as the antenna cord. This may take a bit of force, as it is tight. Here is the wires you are left with after removing the stock unit:

Now, to do this install, I used the PAC brand CR2-GM11 interface, which I bough from crutchfield, Canada. At first i got an older version, and when i plugged it in it did not work. They shipped me the new one, and it looked like this:

First, i connected the interface to the harnesses as shown to test it:

Here is a short video on how to test the interface before wiring it up, to make sure it works. May save you a lot of time if your unit is defective like mine was:

Now that you know your harness/interface is working, you have to wire it up to the head unit. My head unit is a double din clarion (max385VD). Here is how I proceeded with the wiring:

Here is the connections between interphace harness and head unit wiring for all four speakers:

Now, the CR2-GM11 comes with a red accessory wire, which connects to the head unit in order to give it the capability of working like your factory unit and staying on when the car is off until you open your door etc. It is easier than going to get the accessory from the fuse box to turn on the head unit. The wire is max 1 amp, however, and in fear of damagin the new interface, i followed the instructions and put a relay on the interface's accessory wire and then connected the head unit's accessory to the relay, I went and got the relay's main power from a fuse in the fuse box (20a I believe) and it works like a charm. The interface has instructions on how to put a relay if you think your unit will need more than 1amp accessory. If it doesn't, just connect red with red on the harness and you<re done this step. Heres a pic of the relay i installed;

Now that the head unit is all wired up to the interface, I tested it before reinstalling it. Here is a short video on testing my head unit to make sure it works how you want it:

Now that you have tested it and it works, re-install it into the dash by putting back the 4 screws and the dash trim. I had to really play with the wiring in back of the unit to get it to fit, as there is not much room in back of the head unit when you put it in. There is also a small silver tab at the back of the head unit that I bent slightly in order to have more room to install the head unit. I also put the wiring harness and the cords tucked underneath the head unit, because there is more room there.

Finally, the finished product:

Hope you liked the writeup and it comes in handy! PM me if you have any other questions or comments!

See less See more
2 15
#3 ·
Awesome thx. hey wat does a guy gotta do to become a moderator around here? :p

oh,m and im thinkin of changing the gauge/control lighting to blue to match the head unit a bit better. What do you guys think? im guessing the sharpie mod would work for that?

#5 · (Edited)
why would you not want to hook it up to the red wire? if you don't hook up the red wire, you have to hook the red wire from the head unit into a fuse in the fuse box or something. if you do not hook up the red wire from the head unit at all, the head unit will not turn on. the easiest thing to do is to connect the red wire from the head unit to the red wire from the harness, as I have shown. Only difference is I put a relay between mine.

#7 ·
Whan connections would come undone in the dash? if you're talking about the head unit wires connection to the wiring harness, then no, they will not come undone. This is the way you wire them; You first strip the tips of both wires, twist them together, soder them(an option-will give you better electrical transfer and rigidity of connection), and then finally, as seen in the picture, you use electrical tape and cover the whole connection so there is no exposed wire left. You do this for each wire. i have never heard of some other way, and i have done quite a few installs. I learned from some good people too. I don,t know if this is what you are referring to or not.

#9 · (Edited)
so? don't solder them, I just wrapped them up together and taped them up, and so did the guy from duro auto who installed my system when insurance paid to have it replaced (i found out when taking it out of my old car). Never heard of any connections coming undone when they're wrapped together and taped. Takes barely any skill to wrap the two wire ends together properly then tape them up firmly. If you want also, after you wrap and tape them, put a blowdryer to the connection so the electrical tape shrinks a bit, kinda like shrink wrap tubing (which you could also use on your connections and that will work REALLY well, but it's more expensive to buy)

#12 ·
thanx. i love doing audio. Takes long cuz i"m a perfectionist, but I still looove doing it, and i find it easy, but i think that,s just cuz I understand these kind of things really well so in reality it's probably not that easy lol. No shame on getting it professionally installed, but in case ppl wanna save some money, they can just use my writeup as a guide.

#13 ·
Well I've thought about just doing it myself because I don't think Best Buy will ever be able to get me in for an install,lol. Would the install be any different if I have the Pioneer sound package installed? I know I'd need to get another hook up to keep my steering wheel controls too...Just seems like alot of work....and wires,lol

#16 ·
If you have pioneer system and/or onstar, the harness will be very similar but a bit different. Go to crutchfield and put your car in and put the 'with pioneer system' option in and pick any head unit and it will show you what wiring harness you need. I bought it from them directly because the first time they sent it, it was broken and didn't work. They sent me a new one right away, and I sent the old one back after, and they pay for shipping back and everything. So i'm happy I bought it from them!

#15 ·
no, thank YOU lol. Was my pleasure. Hope it is detailed enough! Pm me with any questions!

#18 · (Edited)
whaaaat? did you wire the 12volt constant power to the harness (yellow to yellow) and the red accessory wire from the radio to the red wire on the harness?

and do you have the PAC harness? ill get back @ u when u answer 2morrow. Me tired.

#24 ·
well me and my friend cut some of that plastic thats in the way...but i mean thats up to you. we just trimmed a little of it off but didnt completely remove it

#26 ·
very helpfull write up. I to am going to be installing a double din in my 09 cobalt and i seen from the vid that you still have door chimes but did you loose anything since i seen your harness didnt have the onstar (like the digital display on dash ect.)

#28 ·
my car doesn't have onstar. If you have either onstar or the premium pioneer system, then there is another harness (same harness but different model number) with the wiring required to retain the onstar. I did not lose any of my other stock features, though. everything works exactly like stock head unit, the radio even stays on for 10 mins after the keys are removed or until i open my door.
The install for the onstar harness should be almost the same besides a wire or two for the onstar. check on crutchfield for the proper harness info. the harness comes with a decent wiring layout guide so should nto be too much more complexe.

#29 ·
STICKY!!! i keep re-posting the link for this thread simply cuz ppl repeating the same install questions and it's annoying to find the thread numerous times :D

#34 ·
Great write-up. This will help me tremendously this week when i install my new deck. Thanks

#35 ·
Great "how to" now I know what to expect when I tear into my balt. I am installing a touch screen Pioneer after I get my tax return lol. I think the harness adapter you used is the same one I am gonna order. do you need another adapter for the steering wheel controls or does that adapter take care of it?

#37 ·
Hey guys I was woundering If I could get a more detail with the wiring part of this how-to. I just dont get the part were you are doing the wiring from the Interface to the head unit.

By the way I have a 2005 Pontiac Pursuit. Its basically a Cobalt. I know I could go the cheap way, but I dont wanna take any chances, because people are saying if you dont get the interface that your airbags might not deploy in an accident. and there a whole bunch safety hazzards.

I also dont understand what you mean by this. Do I need any special hardware? and how exactly do I do this.

Now, the CR2-GM11 comes with a red accessory wire, which connects to the head unit in order to give it the capability of working like your factory unit and staying on when the car is off until you open your door etc. It is easier than going to get the accessory from the fuse box to turn on the head unit. The wire is max 1 amp, however, and in fear of damagin the new interface, i followed the instructions and put a relay on the interface's accessory wire and then connected the head unit's accessory to the relay, I went and got the relay's main power from a fuse in the fuse box (20a I believe) and it works like a charm. The interface has instructions on how to put a relay if you think your unit will need more than 1amp accessory. If it doesn't, just connect red with red on the harness and you<re done this step. Heres a pic of the relay i installed;
Really I am new with audio and cars. and I just wanna do this right. I really want the experience and I wanna learn how to do this correctly.

So ya any extra info that you can give me would be most helpfull

Thanks

Curtis

#38 ·
Nice pics ericnerica! And for steering wheel controls there is a sufferer model of adaptor available from crutchfield. You can chalek the PAC website to get the harness' product code, but crutchfield should be able to tell you which one you will need.

#41 ·
not that I can think of...depending on which harness you got and which head unit of course. I think the above is pretty self explanatory. PM me if you run into trouble, i'll be working all morning but have my Iphone on me and I check this site pretty regularly. Good luck and post pics when you're all done!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.