Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is my first how-to so please play nice. It is going to take me awhile to do it and I'll do it in sections..pictures will come later but I know I have some time until Andy gets his :amuse:

Tools Needed:

1 socket set
1 mallet or hammer
1 allen wrench set
2 jackstands
1 floor jack
1 coilover set from Megan

Rear

1. Start by jacking up your car with the floor jack and then putting it up on the jackstands. Remove both of the rear tires

2. Remove the top and bottom strut bolts from each side, that way the whole rear swing arm with drop. Remove old struts. (My bolts are covered in fender wall lining so I had to pick off the crap so I could get my socket wrench on it)

3. Remove the old springs next, to get them out twist counter clockwise while pulling up until the spring comes off (Seemed a little tricky to me the first time to get it off)

4. Once you have the old springs and struts off, put the new springs in making sure that the adjustment sleeve is on top (Its obvious). Your spring is alot shorter, no need to worry.

5. This is where you use your floor jack again, use it to jack up one side of the swing arm until the strut lines up with the bolt holes...making sure that the springs and sleeves are still seated correctly.

6. Bolt up the strut.

7. Go the other side and repeat Steps 4-6

Front

1. Start again by jacking up the car using the floor jack and then put the front up on jackstands.

2. Next you want to remove the 2 bolts that hold the lower strut to the a arm (To get these bolts out you need to use a hammer or a mallet to get them out. Dont be a pansy like I was, they take some good effort to get out)

3. Next remove the nut that attaches to the sway bar (This was the biggest pain in the @$$, I suggest oiling the nut before you try to take it out, because it will just spin in place)

4. Pop your hood and remove the top 3 bolts that hold your strut in (Make sure someone is holding onto it or it will just fall once you get all the bolts out)

5. Repeat Steps 1-4 On the other side

6. This where you adjust anything you need to adjust before you get your alignment. I did nothing and left everything as it came out of the box and will get all the adjustments taken care of when I get my alignment.

7. Bolt everything in, in opposite order of the way you took it out.

8. Remount your tires and put your car back on the ground

I suggest getting an alignment roughly a week after you did the install so that your car can get used to the coilovers and they have some time to settle.

This is how I did my install, if it helps I'm glad if it doesn't I don't care..information is always good. I also am not liable for any damage casued my following this how-to.

·
Registered
600 Posts
can you make a how-to steal your coilovers so i can have them thread? ;D

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
im just saying IF you decide to do both rear shocks at the same time, throw your jack under there so your swing arm wont just set there and hang freely, it could damage it. but if you only do one side like the he did, then you should be fine.

and also you sure the adjustment sleve goes on the top of the rear spring? i put mine underneath the spring

oh and camera date fail lol :p

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I jacked some pictures, since I failed in the picture taking department and it specifically said that you need to put the adjustment sleeve on top...

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
nice write up! car looks great btw. we should do a little mini photo shoot before I leave for the summer now

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
nice write up! car looks great btw. we should do a little mini photo shoot before I leave for the summer now
forsure, im going to california soon to get my supercharger installed, so im pretty sure ill be at WCCM are you going?

---------- Post added at 07:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:17 PM ----------

oh ok i was just wondering man, the set i bought didnt come with instructions..but also mine are Ksport not megan

thanks man
ahah fair enough yeah it had to do with the load put on them or something:huh: i didnt pay too much attention

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
forsure, im going to california soon to get my supercharger installed, so im pretty sure ill be at WCCM are you going?
Im not sure as of right now. I want to but I have to work like 10 hours a day every day through summer and so Im not sure if I can get time off. Why are you going to Cali for the install?

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Im not sure as of right now. I want to but I have to work like 10 hours a day every day through summer and so Im not sure if I can get time off. Why are you going to Cali for the install?
Cause I bought everything from a guy in California and rather than pay the shipping I decided I would drive down and we would install it since he is a trifecta dealer too we can just tune it while im down there

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
oh nice! Im f***ing jealous now. I want a sc bad lol

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.