Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello:

According to what I have read the dex cool coolant (orang instead of the typical green one) used in my '06 Chevy Cobalt should be replaced every 100,000 milles.

Is there any way to know if it's already time to change it? Are those anti-freeze test strips reliable?

When I purchased the car it had like 71,000 milles and now it has like 80,000.

I am not sure when the last replacement was done.

Thanks

·
Chevy Customer Service
794 Posts
Good Morning,

I looked into the ’06 Cobalt Owner’s Manual, and DEX-COOL is designed to remain in your vehicle for five years or 150,000 miles, whichever occurs first (p. 5-23). There’s more information in the manual on the proper coolant-water ratio to put in, how to check the coolant level, etc.

Hope this helps,
Sarah
GM Customer Service

·
Registered
289 Posts
"five years or 150,000 miles" - whatever you do, do not go that long without flushing & changing it out. I do mine every three years. Dexcool is known to jell up & do other funky stuff to all your inturnel componets........

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Your driving habits dictate pretty much when and why you should replace your coolant. Cars that are left idling and do short runs like taxis should change it more often and long hawlers less. If it has lost it's orangy pink colour change it soon.
If you or somebody accidently poored the green stuff in you will need to drain and flush as soon as possible and replace with Dexcool. These are not compatible liquids. My rule of thumb is 160 000 Kms (100 000 miles) or 5 years which ever comes first. Usually after your last car payment if you bought it new and took it for 5 years.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What about my last payment if I bought it used?

Should I ask the person who sold it to me if they changed the coolant before they sold the Cobalt to me?

Or just go ahead and change it anyways?

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Well like I said if it still has that unique orangy pink colour it is probably still good. An other go way is to check for sludge in the overflow reservoir. If it is also clean then chance are your coolant is in good shape.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.