Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I found this on another forum site.

Tools Need: adjustable wrench, some sort of cutting tool, I used a zip disk, tape measure, tape, pliers, paint, grinder or sanding wheel
Ease of Install: easy
Estimated time to install: 1 hour to do, then extra for paint to dry.

Step 1:
remove antenna from car. at the same time also measure where you want to cut it and mark it with tape. I chose 6" form the base.

Step 2:
clamp antenna in a vise and cut at the tape edge, tape both sides unlike me. then the wire wont unravel.

step 3:
Clamp the other end of the antenna in the vice again. with the ball on top.

Step 4:
now take your pliers and twist and pull on the ball. it is a tapered fit. it will pop off takes some effort. so don't be a sissy.

Step 5:
grind the short end of the antenna down to fit the ball, don't make it to slow of an angle or it wont stick properly, it has to be a tight fit. now turn upside down and hit the ball on about 4 or 5 times to makes sure its on good.

Step 6:
now paint that sucker, make it look good.

and you done.

·
Registered
821 Posts
questioning the reception for the radio with shorties..... any problems?

·
Registered
17 Posts
i did this mod and was pleased with the results. i have a usb port on my deck so wasn't too worried about reception. but i still got most major radio stations strong about 50 km outside of the city... regardless, its still better than having a 1.5m rod on the back of your car.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I am going to do this. Now that I've seen this mod. I've realized that the normal antenna looks really bad. Has to be done immediately. Thanks for the write up

·
Get Out The Sawzall
1,856 Posts
Did this mod on Saturday, the shorty looks so much better.
(tip) If you have a bench mounted stone wheel grinder, it takes about 20 seconds to make this ball fit. I used 2 part epoxy and put a dab on the inside of the ball and on the tip of the antennna. I taped up the antenna and gloss blacked the ball and about an 1/8 inch past the ball and then a quick coat of clear. I did not paint the rest of the antenna and the gloss and clear match perfectly.

·
Registered
9 Posts
just did this mod today at work on my lunch break took me 20 minutes with the proper tools thanks for the info! was helpful and looks great

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
I did the vacum cap trick too, never seen this one before tho but it looks good, still vacum cap look beter IMO but there is no reception !!
I vacuum capped mine first, too. Got better reception than with the MPX shorty... Even looked better, believe it or not. In regard to reception, it's a lot like high school: beauty over substance. Eh, that's what pandora is for.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.