Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
7,805 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You will need a relay for this. A 5 pin 30/40 amp relay will work just fine. Here is the wiring.
Pin 86-ground
Pin 85-High beam turn on
Pin 30-out put Low beams
Pin 87-Constant 12 volt source
Pin 87a-input low beams

You will have to cut the wire for you low beams so that the input (coming from the car goes into pin 87a and then the other wire, the output goes to the bulbs. This method lets you drive with your high beams on as well as the low beams. This is good if you have aftermarket headlights that make the high and low beams to seperate bulbs. Normally the low beams go off with the high beams in a cobalt. This does not affect the daytime running lights since they are always on unless you turn them off. However, if you do turn off the auto lights and then flash your high beams (for example to signal another car) both the low beams and high beams flash. I was unable to correct this with just one relay. In this video, the red light represents the low beams and the blue light represents the high beams.
YouTube - How to wire low beams with high beams

·
Registered
674 Posts
Bump for a question. I got a 5 pin relay, and it says one is the ground, one is a constant 12V source, another is a switched source (i'm guessing when the high beams turn on, and the last two are the same output after the switch is activated... WTF, how do I do this? do I splice into my low beam wire or cut it all together?

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
There is a simpler way to do this, just add a diode negative side to A2 and positive to C2 on connector ''C2'' of the underhood fuse block and you're done.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.