Chevy Cobalt Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

How To: Paint Door Pull Handle

7K views 21 replies 13 participants last post by  eckoofthebat44 
#1 ·
This is my first How To so anything left out or unclear just ask.

There is another how to call *How To: Remove Door Panel* this will show you how to remove it from your Balt.

Item's needed.

1) Door button pull handle

2) Plastic bags (Or equivalent)

3) Scissors and Painters Tape

4) Paint and Clear Coat

*I did not sand mine, but you can if you want I don't see why you can't.*

I first started by taking my door pull handle and folded my plastic bag around it.

I then used my painters tape and went along the edges of the door pull handle and taping them to the bag.

Once all of it has been taped around you can then start taping the buttons.

After all that it should look something like this.

I wanted to keep my trays the same color.

I started to tape around the edges and using my finger nail go through the grooves around the tray to make it stick better.

Then you can begin painting, and then clear coating.

Mine are drying now will post pictures, when I get finished.

See less See more
#6 ·
i dont want to cause problems but sanding is definatly required for a lasting finish... otherwise it WILL flake off unless of course your using that krylon fusion stuff (ive never used it) but even still id recommend sanding! its just good to cover all the bases its easy enough and dont take long...i wish you luck and hope that they work out well!

#7 ·
Uploading pictures now.

Yeah I used the Krylon fusion but this was a test its white primer so either I can sand and redo the right way by taking buttons out and doing whole thing after sanding.

#8 ·
im not saying krylon fusion wont hold but in my experiance no sanding = ALOT OF problems! maybe it does hold up i dont know but id rather not take my chances ...

#9 ·

---------- Post added at 09:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:27 PM ----------

I hear ya, this was a test and I plan on sanding it down when I do it properly.

---------- Post added at 09:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:28 PM ----------

There not perfect by any means, but will redo when it gets warmer.

#18 ·
Sanded my driver side pull handle last night. Sanded it all down with 320, 400 and then 600 grit. Perhaps unnecessary or perhaps not enough, but the 3 coats I put on seemed to be very smooth and nice looking.

I went with krylon fusion and bought both a very dark red/burgundy and a very dark blue. I have the tan interior in my 05 LS so I feel a little limited by what I can do until I decide if im going to seriously customize the interior.

I also bought the krylon clear gloss. I may not go with gloss everywhere since I dont want everything super shiny/reflective, but figured the shine and extra protection for such a regularly touched surface would be fine.

Oh and of course on my 3rd coat a tiny fly lands in the wet pant and leaves a mark. Im going to put another coat or two on and then decide if I should sand the area or just let it be and put on the clear.

#22 ·
i did this as well to my smooth interior panels, but i didn't sand it first, i did 2 coats of primer then 3 coats of blue. then topped it with 2 coats of clear. Don't make my mistake by not cleaning them enough and not sanding. i already have a couple chips so im going to get better paint and redo them the right way. then over time I'm going to paint all the black dash and door panels black but get the texture out so it'll all be a smooth flat black. But that will take me a couple months of weekends to do. Great write up!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.