Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
First off, I DID NOT write this. It was written by Eurochevy on CSS. He wrote it for just doing the face but it still applies for doing the whole rim

Supplies : Painters tape, Can of w/e colour paint you want and clear coat i chose this..im canadian i just went to hardware store and talked to a friend and got this stuff....

Step 1. Wash rim (it sux working with dirty stuff)
thanks to DOC for helping me this is before and after here MR CLEAN MAGIC ERASER industrial strength
before

after

Step 2. Tape off what you wanna sand off..pretty simple like so.. Step 3. Sand useing progressivly finer paper ..however this paint asked for 400 grit specifically for best adhesion so thats what i did

Step 4. Peel tape after you've sanded wash it with soap and water to get all the dust off, just regular soap you would use to wash your car/ rims in the first place and you should end up like this: (also keep in mind its shinier because its still wet it will be very dull when its dry

Step 5. Re-tape but this time ALL surface area you do not wish to be painted like so (you can do this obviously various ways but i put a little around teh black so you could see a chrome outline around all black including at the end of the spokes just a tiny bit), also for the lug nut holes i used styro-foam and cut it to fit tightly so nothing would go in the holes, use bits of scrap tape if you must to fill the edges although its best to try to get as snug as possible with the foam as it is easier and cleaner all the way around

Step 6. Apply paint as instructed and however many coats is up to you, i personally went with 4, allowing about a 7 min drying time inbetween coats (depends on temp outside) do NOT FORGET! to tape just behind all the way around the edge where the spokes are just incase you get any paint spray in there for protection, i also put cardboard lineing the inside to help

Step 7. Apply clearcoat (which i do not have a picture of) however its pretty much same as the paint= do not let sag or drip due to too much spray in one spot.

Step 8. Peel away tape and install and enjoy!

·
Registered
867 Posts
thought there wouldve been more to it, like i didnt think it would be as easy as painting other stuff, thought rims wouldve been different i guess

cool write up none the less :cheesy:

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ya it's not too hard. wont hold up as well as powder coating though

·
Registered
867 Posts
ya it's not too hard. wont hold up as well as powder coating though
thats what i was thinking, since powder coating is more expensive, i figured it should hold up stronger n longer

·
Registered
3,545 Posts
yes?? would the "dual" paint look better as pictured above? or everything black??

·
hawaii icon
3,089 Posts
Sanding it does 2 things, it helps clean the area you are painting (better than just with soap and water) and it provides a rough surface for the paint to bond to.

·
Registered
867 Posts
why the tape?
there doesnt have to be tape
but if you just want a certain part of it painted then tape it
:blink: kinda obvious,

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
so i notice the pictures have disappeared.... And since i am having trouble finding good black 4 bolt wheels i might go with a plain set and paint them, but wouldn't powder coating be better than painting them with spray paint?

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
so i notice the pictures have disappeared.... And since i am having trouble finding good black 4 bolt wheels i might go with a plain set and paint them, but wouldn't powder coating be better than painting them with spray paint?
Powdercoating-Yes, for you, you are looking for a Summer Wheel. around here its $75 a wheel.
Spray Painting-No, but in my situation, I'd run them as winter wheels, hence the powdercoat would go through hell, so I'd rather just paint them once or twice through out the winter for $20 rather than powdercoating them for $75 ea.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
I just bought a set of 16''s for winter wheels, I'll make a how-to on how to do this based on this how-to. Guess what color the wheels will be???

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.