Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Say What again!
6,000 Posts
Woah - looks real good, Mike! Nice write-up.

·
Registered
821 Posts
what about glue squeezing out through to the front (visible) side?

·
Registered
77 Posts
I would again suggest the use of a retaining washer like this,
Washer
Over a screw, and with or without glue.

This is the part of the panel you pull on every time you get in or out, so overtime it takes allot of abuse. These washer emulate the original plastic welded rivets and tightens up the harder you pull/push it.

Or you could drop $200 and get something like this plastic welder and perfectly attach the panels.

Being that that kit costs more then everything else, not likely for one time thing. Those washers are dirt cheap, you can add glue to them, and you will never mess up the appearance. Just measure the diameter of the peg, and get the size you need. Any Napa auto parts should carry them by the millions.

·
Wootsauce!
8,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Woah - looks real good, Mike! Nice write-up.
what about glue squeezing out through to the front (visible) side?
Only did it on one tiny spot, but i removed it. (I Used a lot of glue)

very nice
good write up man. i have gotta try this.
Awsome write up Mike. Will be doing this after I get the balt repaired
Thanks guys!

I would again suggest the use of a retaining washer like this,
Washer
Over a screw, and with or without glue.

This is the part of the panel you pull on every time you get in or out, so overtime it takes allot of abuse. These washer emulate the original plastic welded rivets and tightens up the harder you pull/push it.

Or you could drop $200 and get something like this plastic welder and perfectly attach the panels.

Being that that kit costs more then everything else, not likely for one time thing. Those washers are dirt cheap, you can add glue to them, and you will never mess up the appearance. Just measure the diameter of the peg, and get the size you need. Any Napa auto parts should carry them by the millions.

I think i am gonna try the screw/washer thing on my drivers door panel, just to see how that works out. I'll post here as an alternative to glueing.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I'm in the middle of doing mine and I noticed that if you let them sit out in the sun (thought it would help with drying) it seems to relax the material and unglue itself from the sharper corners. Bringing them in now to start massaging them again..lol just an FYI

·
Registered
1,336 Posts

did mine. I'm not very patient the first time around so I may end up doing it again to get out all the creases and seal it in the door better (since I didn't 100% like how I did mine is held on with duct tape...). But it looks good overall and thanks for the write up!

·
Registered
611 Posts
Definitely need to do this soon!

·
Registered
9 Posts
did this mod on my ls. got premium black vinyl found it on sale for 9.99 a yard got 2 yards of it just to be safe and i got the 3m laminate glue the strongest one they had. also lowes sells pro hot glue guns with industrial strength glue i recommend this due to the fact that i tried gluing them in with a hobby glue gun for 2 hours and failed miserably. the new gun worked great though the glue sticks that good it will take your skin off haha. i will post pics of my doors as soon as i get a few extra minutes. thanks for this thread it was great

21 - 40 of 47 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.