Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hope this makes sense.....if I have forgot anything or it doesn't make sense feel free to add your thoughts as I am by no means an expert when to comes to cars.

First you need to remove the plastic "clips" that hold the trunk lid carpeting in place.

Next release the clips for the bulb assembly and remove the bulbs from the taillight housing.

Remove the 10mm nuts on both sides of the light assembly and pull light away from trunk lid.

Then if you want you can remove the red lense from the chrome housing to save yourself from taping it all off. I removed the lense and taped around the foam cushion so I only painted the part of the light that shows through the hole in the trunk so the foam stayed soft and kept a good seal between the light and the trunk.

Hope this helps some of those out there who like me aren't real "educated" when it comes to car repairs/mods. Any feedback and comments are welcomed as this is my first how to.

---------- Post added at 10:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:16 PM ----------

Mods....please change title to
How to: Remove 3rd Brake Light

Forgot the ":"

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Like I said....I am a novice at all this. That is why I encourage anyone to put in their .02 about how they did it. I didn't realized the red lens separated from the chrome housing until I pulled it all apart or I probably would have left the bulbs in too.

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
i left the bulbs in to. doesn't really matter how you do it though. at least now theres a write up for people that are curious

·
hawaii icon
3,089 Posts
I've been wondering the same. I guess that matters region to region.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have never heard of the 3rd brake light being required by law. As long as your tails light up brighter when you push the brake you should be good. I'm not a lawyer though.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Bulbs

Did anyone note what the bulbs were in the third brake-light when they took it apart? I have a running list of all the bulbs in my car as I run into them for replacement purposes. I was also thinking about changing them out for led bulbs and didn't want to have to take the whole thing out just to find out what bulbs they are...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.