Chevy Cobalt Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
take off the inside door panel and start digging. if i remember right theres 2 pushrods u have to undo. or at the very least just 1. I removed the 2nd pushrod for easier access and because i was swapping all the internals to another door. Pretty sure theres only 1 nut keeping the door handle and key barrel in place. Its been 3 years since ive done this so my memorys a bit foggy. Feel free to post pictures as u go along if u have more questions or need help. Its a pretty starght forward job

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
The door lock is mounted in the door handle. Remove the door handle by removing the door handle bolts from the inside of the door. Then you can pull the handle out far enough to remove the 2 rods.
You can also remove the bolts to the door sticker/latch to get more wiggle room to remove the door handle & unclip the rods. Watch out, the clips on the rods are plastic and will not take a bunch of abuse.

one of the rods is much easier to remove from the latch. There are images here on the forum if you search.

with the handle in hand, you will quickly see how it’s locked in place.
Now with the lock/ handle in hand. Have the new key matched to the lock…easy enough to get done. Then all of your keys will still match, door, ignition, & trunk.

check with Traxy on the Traxforum dot com (aka Coby7) and he might be able to fix you up with new working key fobs. He lives on the North side of the border…you know, where all the Maple leaves grow

1 - 3 of 3 Posts