Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After getting the airbag cover off, you will see on T20 screw holding each side trim piece in place. Like this

Just take the T20 screw out and the trim will come off. There will be a wire harness holding in the buttons on each trim piece. Like this

Just pop that loose and they will be completely loose. You then will have to pop the 4 clips loose that are holding the buttons in place. Here are the 4 clips

After popping those buttons loose, this is what you will have.

Just prime them and paint them. After done with that, just put the trim back in and screw in the T20s. To put the airbag cover back in, just line it up and press gently. It will clip back into place easily. Hope this was helpful to you guys. It's my first DIY, so let me know if it was any good. If you have any questions, just ask

·
Registered
90 Posts
I'd like to point out that that isnt the "airbag cover" its the ACTUAL airbag itself. Before removing the airbag or even going near the holes with a tool be sure you disable the airbags by disconnecting your negative battery cable Do not let the bag hang by the harness like in the pictures, just disconnect it, and then face it emblem up on the ground or floor

·
Registered
768 Posts
nice write up! but..... I dont have that steering wheel. I was wondering what you were talking abot yesterday. haha, now I know. I had that steering wheel in my rental saturn aura and I hate it. no offense

·
Registered
117 Posts
ok ok ok sooo....now what about these steering wheels? anyone got any info on how to get these little trim pieces out???

·
Registered
117 Posts
nope. i tryed. unless i just didnt try hard enough. i would swear if i pushed any harder it was going to tear my steering wheel (if that makes sense). im id be scared to pop the airbag out.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Nice write-up, been wondering how to do this for ages. Also need to check my airbag anyway...

·
Registered
87 Posts
how do you get the airbag out in the first place? im painting my interior trim but i cant figure out how to get the airbag off the wheel to get them trim pieces, i tried putting a screwdriver into the two holes on the wheel.. does it just pop off or something?

·
Registered
324 Posts
how do you get the airbag out in the first place? im painting my interior trim but i cant figure out how to get the airbag off the wheel to get them trim pieces, i tried putting a screwdriver into the two holes on the wheel.. does it just pop off or something?
yeah how do you get it out? from the start it just says take it out but not instructions on how.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yeah i think it would be helpful to know how the airbag itself comes off the steering wheel, i am looking at possibly doing my trim this coming weekend, or are we missing another DIY somewhere that explains it lol.

Deeluke

·
Registered
360 Posts
If you notice in the pic I have circled the bottom of the rod that holds the airbag in..... Look close at the bottom of the rod, it makes a 90 degree bend on the bottom.......that is what you push against to release.
The rod goes all the way up thru the two lines I drew.
When you stick your device in to push that rod, the rod is lower in the housing than the hole is. If you search around with your device you will feel the rod and then just push it in. Its a little tricky the first time... but once you've had it out and really see how its goes together it really is simple.
Hope that helps more than what I just looked at.

Sorry, I just borrowed your pic.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.