Chevy Cobalt Forum banner
1 - 1 of 2 Posts

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Was at the junkyard today, I'm looking for a new transmission fluid pan since mine is dented up (but not leaking thankfully)

I noticed most of the Cobalts in the yard seemed to have this strange "rubber grommet" drain plug I have never seen before?

Here's what it looks like:

Automotive tire Wood Gas Rim Tire

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Motor vehicle

Automotive tire Vehicle Gas Automotive exterior Wood

Any ideas how you get it out?

I tried pinching it off with a pair of pliers, but the rubber is super slippery and I couldn't get a good grip on it.

It's unclear what "socket" is used for this thing, since most of the how-to Youtube videos show Cobalts with a nice-and-easy hex transmission drain plug that "comes right out" with a simple hex socket (14 mm I think?)

I went home empty-handed since I was getting messy under there/ATF was getting all over my tools

Next time I go back I would like to know how to get this strange "rubber grommet" drain plug out so it can properly drain onto the ground and I can have a nice/clean removal once the fluid is properly drained
1 - 1 of 2 Posts