Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in dier need of removing my traction control. It is horrible and has no idea on how to drive in Minnesota. It is an 07 LT with sport package automatic. I know I can use the Low setting but that is useless when it still happens in 2nd and 3rd gear. I am going to try the hand break method I read where you click it up one knotch, I know it will slightly engage it but it is better to me to do taht for about 30 seconds than to deal with sliding off the road because the car won't let me drive. This is pissing me off because it should have a switch or fuse or some way to turn if off rather than having to use a break. It hinders my driving and makes the car a hazard. Any help would be appriciated.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Don't know any way to disengage the TC except how you described it in your thread. You would have to invest in a tune or HPTuners (if they even support the 2.2 yet) and have them disable the TC. TC is also controlled by the Brake Control Module...so a "tune" may not even take care of it.

Out of curiousity...what is the problem you're having with it?

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Hp doesnt support the 2.2 and most likely never will. and im not sure if it can be taken care of with a tune. however you can connect it to a switch so you can turn it on and off whenever you like. thats alot better then leaving your ebrake with one click on

however i havent done this so i cant offer a DIY i just read about it along time ago on this site before alot of stuff got deleted. so im not sure if its even still on here

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Installing a switch -- if you're referring to the post and DIY I'm thinking about it uses the same wiring as the parking brake and still causes the warning "bells" to go off -- you just don't have the parking brake lever pulled. Might be a solution for your snow problem.

·
Banned
292 Posts
that trick only works if when you click up the ebrake one notch and the light pops on... if not then you have what is called all gear traction control and it cannot be disabled... unfortunately.

but traction control is not a bad thing... it will cause the power to cut in half basically half throttle to regain full throttle just pump the gas should fix it... usually one revolution of spinning will cause it to engage then one pump will put you back at full throttle not sure if it will re engage or not haven't tried it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The problem is that the car is trying to drive for me, it doesn't know when I need to power off from a start or if I plan on going quickly through a slick area because I need the speed to carrie me through. Suddenly all power is gone no matter how hard you pump or push the peddle. I will also call the dealer see if they have any suggestion. Otherwise will check the DIY area for suggestions

·
Registered
869 Posts
If I'm bored later Ill look up the wiring schematic on SI and show you how and where to put a switch on the power or ground. Though I don't suggest doing it. It is much less of a hassle to learn how to drive with it on then try and disable it and have other systems run amok. Once you disable your T/C, then your CEL and T/C message will constantly display. If you have another problem you will most likely not be able to detect it, since at the first occurence of a problem when the ECU stores the code, normall the T/C service message will display. But hey, it's your car.

·
Registered
298 Posts
BlackBaltSS - Do you have the Vibrant D/P yet? I know it is in your future mods. Just wondering if you had it and if you had a CEL P0420 "cat below efficiency". Check out the thread under that title if you get a chance.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Haven't had the money. After I got the Jet Stage 2 chip I havent gotten anything else. Tried the B&M ShiftPlus, and that thing hurts our cars performance. I'm just leaving the car as is. I stopped hoping for it to be fast after I went to the track. Just going to keep it for fuel economy until I'm out of college in two years, then I'm getting a Camaro SS.

That CEL won't go away unless you replace your catalytic converter. I had the same one happen on a Tahoe and the only way to fix it was to replace the whole downpipe assembly (since parts can't order just one cat). Since your downpipe is aftermarket the cat isn't up to factory efficiency. I would suggest trying to find one off of a wrecked Cobalt or ordering one (I think the public can). Then just weld the factory unit in place of the aftermarket. It won't effect your performance and that CEL will go away. Good luck, hope I was of assistance.

·
Banned
292 Posts
Haven't had the money. After I got the Jet Stage 2 chip I havent gotten anything else. Tried the B&M ShiftPlus, and that thing hurts our cars performance. I'm just leaving the car as is. I stopped hoping for it to be fast after I went to the track. Just going to keep it for fuel economy until I'm out of college in two years, then I'm getting a Camaro SS.

That CEL won't go away unless you replace your catalytic converter. I had the same one happen on a Tahoe and the only way to fix it was to replace the whole downpipe assembly (since parts can't order just one cat). Since your downpipe is aftermarket the cat isn't up to factory efficiency. I would suggest trying to find one off of a wrecked Cobalt or ordering one (I think the public can). Then just weld the factory unit in place of the aftermarket. It won't effect your performance and that CEL will go away. Good luck, hope I was of assistance.
shitf+ doens't hurt the cars performance stage II is just a bit outrageous and u'll lose traction so thus hurting your track time try stage I i seen some guy post on css.net that he lost .2 of his 1/4 time in stage I.

i have it and i love it gives the car a lil more kick.

·
Registered
750 Posts
shitf+ doens't hurt the cars performance stage II is just a bit outrageous and u'll lose traction so thus hurting your track time try stage I i seen some guy post on css.net that he lost .2 of his 1/4 time in stage I.

i have it and i love it gives the car a lil more kick.
That guy would be me knox :) B&M Shift+ FTW. Stage I is where its at for the track. Stage II like knox said is to much and will cause the tires to slip

·
Banned
292 Posts
That guy would be me knox :) B&M Shift+ FTW. Stage I is where its at for the track. Stage II like knox said is to much and will cause the tires to slip
thanks for the backup....

blackbaltss i have no doubt that you have a legitimate reason for having this doubt about the shift+ i do wish you would give us details as to why you feel it hurts the cars performance...

your a great member on this forum and you give a lot of helpful knowledge so i'm not trying to knock the fact of what your saying, just saying i know tons of people have have no issues and love the shift+ so i would love to hear a different opinion on it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.