Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Gawd of Thunda!
1,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, I finally got my switches in to continue my ss door panel swap, and just got them all dismantled to find that these aren't as easy as I thought it would be, like my cruise buttons..

It seems like I can't get a soldering iron to where it needs to be because of certain things being in the way? Such as the plastic stuff, connectors etc..

Here are some pics

Is there a way to remove more stuff or?

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Looks easy enough, just need a needle tip at 700 degrees and pin-out of the particular switch so you know the polarity to wire the LED.

---------- Post added at 03:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:38 PM ----------

That's a 3mm rice bulb so you can use a 3mm 12 volt LED.

---------- Post added at 03:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:39 PM ----------

Don't go on a big drunk the night before. You can't shake too much on these.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Well it was put together by humans, it should be able to come apart.

·
Gawd of Thunda!
1,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well it was put together by humans, it should be able to come apart.
Aliens!

thinking of getting someone to do this for me XD

---------- Post added at 01:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:05 PM ----------

coby i got the two window switches done but others seem difficult. how much would ypu want to do the rest for me xD

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Do you have the diagrams?

·
Gawd of Thunda!
1,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
same here!! well that, and the hvac...
I did the hvac XD

its just these that look difficult, I had the hardest time doing the window switches.

and no I dont have the diagrams, so I don't even know if I soldered the leds right or not XD

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
I did mine earlier this year. It's a little slow the first time you do them, but not that difficult.

First pic: you need to desolder the (3, if I recall) contacts on the end of board that hold in that "U" shaped connector piece. You need to shimmy it a bit as you desolder, but it comes off just fine. Solder to reattach.

3rd pic: that black plastic piece slides up off the pins.

4th pic: that whole top piece slides out of the plastic base. Put a little pressure on the pins while gently pulling the top part up.

Be sure to use flux and solder wick/braid.

·
Gawd of Thunda!
1,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I did mine earlier this year. It's a little slow the first time you do them, but not that difficult.

First pic: you need to desolder the (3, if I recall) contacts on the end of board that hold in that "U" shaped connector piece. You need to shimmy it a bit as you desolder, but it comes off just fine. Solder to reattach.

3rd pic: that black plastic piece slides up off the pins.

4th pic: that whole top piece slides out of the plastic base. Put a little pressure on the pins while gently pulling the top part up.

Be sure to use flux and solder wick/braid.
whats the wick/braid do? and flux?

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
The copper braid is for desoldering. It wicks up/removes old solder as you heat it. You'll need that or something similar to desolder those 3 contacts. The flux removes oxidation from the pads, ensuring a good solder bond.

Not sure if you guys have Radio Shack up there, but any place that sells electronics supplies will have this stuff.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Maybe I can find the diagrams for you if you tell me what you need. No use doing it and finding out later that you have to redo them. What year car are they out of?

·
Gawd of Thunda!
1,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Maybe I can find the diagrams for you if you tell me what you need. No use doing it and finding out later that you have to redo them. What year car are they out of?
gah that I do not know! I'll message the buyer and ask, but need diagram for basically all the buttons, mirrors, window switches, locks

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Coupe drivers door
A Power Window Master Switch Right Front Up Signal
B Instrument Panel Lamp Supply Voltage
C Retained Accessory Power Fuse Supply Voltage
D Power Window Master Switch Right Front Down Signal
E -- -- Not Used
F Ground
G Power Window Motor Left Front Up Control
H Power Window Motor Left Front Down Control

---------- Post added at 11:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:08 PM ----------

Passenger side coupe or sedan

A Retained Accessory Power Fuse Supply Voltage
C Ground
D Power Window Master Switch Right Front Down Signal
E -- -- Not Used
F Power Window Motor Right Front Down Control
G Power Window Motor Right Front Up Control
H Power Window Master Switch Right Front Up Signal

Door Lock Switch - Driver (AU3)

A Ground
C Door Lock Lock/Unlock Signal
Door Lock Switch - Front Passenger (AU3)

A Ground
B Instrument Panel Lamp Supply Voltage (1)

Door Lock Switch - Driver (AU3)

A Ground

Outside Rearview Mirror Switch (DG7)
A -- -- Not Used
B Ground
C Right Mirror Motor Supply Voltage (Coupe)
Right Mirror Motor Supply Voltage (Sedan)
D Left Mirror Motor Right Control (Coupe)
Left Mirror Motor Right Control (Sedan)
E Instrument Panel Lamp Supply Voltage (1)
F Left Mirror Motor Down Control
G Battery Positive Voltage
H Left Mirror Motor Supply Voltage
J Right Mirror Motor Right Control
K Right Mirror Motor Down Control

---------- Post added at 11:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:11 PM ----------

So all you really need to look for is ground and Instrument panel lamp voltage.

---------- Post added at 11:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:23 PM ----------

Hope this helps. By the way I would have done it for cost of shipping.

·
Gawd of Thunda!
1,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hey man if u still haven't figured this out, I can help yea out if u need it, met u on the weekend
yeah man thatd be awesome if you could! was nice seeing your ride in person! did a great job and congrats on 1st place! ill send you a pm

---------- Post added at 06:37 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:35 AM ----------

Why do you have to be in canada? i have a feeling it would cost quite a bit for shipping for all the switches both ways...
i say that everyday when i look at car parts.. xD shipping kills me every time.

it wouldnt cost much though maybe 6$ to ship there and back and wait coby is canadian isnt he? xD or am i just on drogues.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
:smilie_flagge17: :smilie_flagge17: :smilie_flagge17: :smilie_flagge17: :smilie_flagge17: :smilie_flagge17:I'm Canadian. $1.50 for remotes anywhere in Canada. I imagine it wouldn't cost much more for switches.:smilie_flagge17: :smilie_flagge17: :smilie_flagge17: :smilie_flagge17: :smilie_flagge17: :smilie_flagge17:

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.