Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
THINGS YOU NEED:
-VHT Nightshades (your local auto parts store should have it)
-Spray can Clearcoat (i used duplicolor, you can get that same as VHT)
-11mm Socket
-masking tape (if desired)
-600 grit sandpaper
-1500 grit sandpaper
-wash cloth
-paper towels
-and some spare time

Step 1 :

remove the tail lights, there are two 11mm nuts holding them in. remove those.

Step 2 :

get the 600 grit sand paper and sand the lens so the paint will stick.

Step 3 :

Wash off the lens to get rid of any debris from sanding with a little soap and water on the wash cloth.

Step 4 :

Go to a well ventilated area ( outside ) and apply a light first coat.

Step 5 :

get your 1500 grit sandpaper and sand any imperfections in your paint job away (if needed) then apply a second coat.

After two or three coats, it should look like this.

Put a couple coats of clear on it and then re-install.

once your done, it should look a little something like this.

i did my side markers also

·
Registered
611 Posts
I did this to mine this past weekend and i got a 20 ticket last night... but it still looks sexy

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ive heard people do this but without sanding at all, idk what the difference would be
well if you dont sand them before you spray, the paint wont stick that well, and sanding after each coat is just to get rid of any imperfections.

---------- Post added at 05:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:32 PM ----------

I did this to mine this past weekend and i got a 20 ticket last night... but it still looks sexy
i havent had any problems so far, went on a five hour trip and a couple state troopers were behind me and nothing, it really all depends on the cop i think
and every time i look at the back of my car now i cry ha. its soo sexy

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How long should I wait between coats of nightshade, and how long should I wait before I clear coat?
i waited till they were dry to the touch, 10-20 minutes at most. and same with Clear coat.

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
How long should I wait between coats of nightshade, and how long should I wait before I clear coat?
I waited about 45 min between coats myself but on the can it says dry to the touch in 1 hour, can be handled in 3, and cures in 24

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Couldn't you use a clearcoat primer first for it too stick? or is that just dumb?

·
Registered
922 Posts
As for the process of painting the lights I would add that you should sand the lens with 1500grit or higher, to get the paint to stick to them better. Thats how I did mine. I also had mine done in my shop, with a clear and black mixture and a clear topcoat. Hey BTW my tinted tails are for sale, and were just repainted this weekend, check out my for sale thread.

Im just wondering whats the advantage to doing it this way opposed to having them film tinted. is it just preference?
The film tint is kinda hard to lay on the rounded objects, and never really fits right.

Couldn't you use a clearcoat primer first for it too stick? or is that just dumb?
you could use a clear adhesion promoter, but if you sand the lens down first with 1500 grit or higher, you won't need to use the "primer"

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
yes, some people have done it, but most will say not to because it reduces your light output, you are better off pulling apart your headlights and painting them black, leaving the lenses clear, there is a how to for this on the site

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
yes, some people have done it, but most will say not to because it reduces your light output, you are better off pulling apart your headlights and painting them black, leaving the lenses clear, there is a how to for this on the site
i dont suggest it...i did it to a set, they look good at day but bad at night..... vht sprays on kinda speckley so if fthere is alot of light its easy to see, and also anything you paint on the front will get chipped, i.e. if you have a painted bowtie that you spray painted, it gets chipped, so will the heads and the white lights shows alotta imperfections...such as speckling....and flash i acetoned the tails off and they are about to get redone...

·
cobalt newb
110 Posts
i need to redo mine, I didnt san them and about 4 months after at a car wash they started to peel. just need to wait for a day off.

·
Registered
339 Posts
wow ashleyh8108 ur tail lights looked good did u sand them also./... so ur a chick that actually does the work on her own cars. prertty cool cool give it a 10 out of 10 ratings. great work. n duffy u just killed yours. haha just kidding

·
Registered
21 Posts
yea i sanded the shit outta em. lol

---------- Post added at 08:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:46 PM ----------

should i paint my bowtie black

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
are you doing black as your accent color onyour silver balt? I say do it! your tails look great btw, not as dark as i would go, as i did to mine but still nice job, did you clear coat them at all?

1 - 20 of 61 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.