Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I recently had to do this on my 08 Cobalt. This method is pretty much straight from the Service Manual. Hopefully it's okay for me to post it! If not, I'm sure I'll hear about it.

A couple of disclaimers
* First, make sure that no other learn procedure is being performed simultaneously.
**Second, make sure you're doing this in a place where you won't pick up stray TPMS signals from other vehicles (including your spare set). If a random chirp is heard, chances are you picked one up and you'll need to cancel and repeat the procedure.

If you don't have the J-46079 Scan Tool, here's how to enable the learn method, at least, on the 05-08. This method requires using either the Keyless Entry remote or DIC.

Follow these steps:

1. Ignition ON (not RUN), initiate the TPM Learn Mode using one of the following procedures:

A. On vehicles equipped with keyless entry, simultaneously press the keyless entry transmitters "LOCK" and "UNLOCK" buttons until a double horn chirp sounds indicating that Learn Mode has been enabled. The Left Front turn signal will also be illuminated.

B. Press the "INFO" and "SET/RESET" buttons at the same time on the DIC for about 1 second. Then press the "INFO" button until the "TIRE LEARN" message displays on the DIC. Press and hold the "SET/RESET" button on the DIC until a double horn chirp sounds, indicating that Learn Mode has been enabled. The Left Front turn signal will also be illuminated.

2. Starting with the Left Front tire, learn the tire by increasing or decreasing the tire pressure for 8-10 seconds, then wait for a horn chirp. The horn chirp may occur before or up to 30 seconds after the 8-10 second pressure increase/decrease time period has been reached. Once the horn chirp has sounded, the sensor information is learned and the turn signal in the next location to be learned will illuminate.

3. After the horn chirp has sounded and the Right Front turn signal is illuminated, repeat step 2 for the remaining 3 sensors in the following order:

A. Right Front
B. Right Rear
C. Left Rear

4. When the Left Rear sensor has been learned and a double horn chirp has sounded, the learn process is complete and the RCDLR exits the learn mode.

5. Ignition OFF, adjust all tires to the recommended pressures.

If I missed something or there is a correction, feel free to post!

·
Wootsauce!
8,593 Posts
Thank you for posting this.

Also gonna sticky this because no one knows how to read the owners manual (or search). :)

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Thank you for posting this.

Also gonna sticky this because no one knows how to read the owners manual (or search). :)
in that logic, we wont check for stickies, so thanks for clogging the place up :bigsmile:

just teasing.

thanks for the how to, they never do this for me when I get my tires rotated.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Do the 2010 LT models have this option? I haven't seen it.. Or is this guide for activating it?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Awesome how-to, I don't think you missed anything there. I work in a tire shop and this is something that we do all the time, or try to anyway, but we have a $3000 scan tool that hooks up directly to the OBD port

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
guna attempt to do this when i get home from geting my steelies put on
hopefully i have no problem.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.