Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there was a previous thread but this is just how I wrapped my ugly grey looking headliner in nice black vinyl.. tried my best hope you like it:eek:h:

tools required:
hard squeeze like the kind to tint windows or something similar (to get on the edges and corners)
wood roller or similar to roll out the air or glue bubbles

heavy duty spray adhesive (personally prefer 3M super 77 but there is one even stronger that this one)

first of all remove the ugly grey fabric from the head liner be really careful!!! you might tear or break it since the thing underneath it's a tinny layer of foam mixed with fiberglass or something similar so be gentle when pulling the fabric out.

this is what it look like after you are done removing the fabric, once again be careful specially with the edges and corners I kind of tear a little those so take your time.

now it's the time to prep your project make sure you get ride of all major contaminants on the headliner and it's clean to apply the adhesive, let it chill while getting ready to cut your vinyl using as a patter the fabric you previously cut, just to give you an idea of how much you are going to need make sure to cut about 2 more inches per side.

now apply adhesive to the vinyl but just to the top edge about 4 inches long and all the way wide, I stared by the hardest and uneven surface, which is obviously where the visors sits.

the reason why recommend to apply adhesive just as you go and folding it's to get as little wrinkles as possible, and it's way easier to apply and handle it as well. make sure you get the edges and corners first and then roll all the wrinkles out the edges and corners and keep folding the vinyl as you go you can step on the headliner to work your way down just try to be careful and not to break the headliner.

now here it's the time when gravity becomes your best friend, turn the headliner upside down to know where you need more adhesive it will pull down by itself, so you can apply more to the vinyl as well the headliner just remember not more than 4 inches long so it's easier and you get the less wrinkles, let the glue activate by letting chill for about 5 minutes or so.

now you got this the next step it's make sure you apply the adhesive on all the edges and corners by pulling not to hard, so you will know if you need more or not don't forget to roll out all the air or adhesive bubbles take your time and not rush yourself the results depend on this!!!

next one it's the light dome hole. make sure to apply a good amount of adhesive and work all your way around the edges, and try to apply a good even pressure you might get a couple of wrinkles over this but it's fine you can roll those out just making sure you to get it right.

next and the easiest part keep applying your vinyl and keep making sure not to leave air between the headliner and the vinyl, so you get the less wrinkles and there you go oh sorry but ran out of adhesive so didn't finish the bottom part sorry:sad2: but I'll be posting pictures as soon as I get someone to buy me more!!!

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Awesome man, i want to do this this summer. how much material did you need, where did you get it, and what are you going to do about the sun visors?
about 4/5 feet and I'm doing the same thing with the visors somebody already did a how to but with fabric vinyl won't be that different though

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
so here we go some nice picture of the finished product. there are several wrinkles but it looks way better in real life, beside anything looks way better than the cheap horrible looking grey fabric my car came with!!!

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
will the wrinkles go away? and how much was the fabric?
most of them Will after the adhesive dries completely, and I got a steal deal in a local fabric store got like 5 yards of really good quality vinyl and paid 25 bucks for it I even did my rear deck as well will post pictures pretty soon don't push me:cheesy:

·
Registered
83 Posts
there is actually a trick to getting rid of the wrinkles, its kinda like heatshrinking with tinting, heat up the leather and squeegy it out, u gotta be careful not to melt the vinyl tho, i had mine leather and decided to just go to black cloth, the vinyl will melt off in the heat of the summer, i had to redo it, this is the 3rd time so im just putting cloth back on

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
there is actually a trick to getting rid of the wrinkles, its kinda like heatshrinking with tinting, heat up the leather and squeegy it out, u gotta be careful not to melt the vinyl tho, i had mine leather and decided to just go to black cloth, the vinyl will melt off in the heat of the summer, i had to redo it, this is the 3rd time so im just putting cloth back on
how did you manage to do it 3 times??? this is my first attempt and almost break the cheap foam material the headliner it's made of!! anyways good tip but kind of scare I'll ruin it did you do the heat gun yourself or took it to a shop??

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.