Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I think it's helpful to hear other Cobalt owner experiences...started a thread a few years back that got lots of responses. It's been a while so I'm polling again for how your Cobalt is holding up.

I have 47k (US) on mine, or there abouts. Had an issue with the ignition early on (it needed to be replaced), had some water inside one of the headlight lenses (probably due to me hosing down the engine) which I was able to clear out with a drinking straw and a hair dryer ....and I had some trouble with the fuel injectors getting gummed up (probably bought a load of bad gas) that was fixed with a visit to the dealer and several gas treatments.

All in all, the car has been pretty much a home run for me. Even the tires are holding up well, although I'll probably replace them next fall before the snow starts. It's not a Ferarri but for the price, I have no complaints...well....it could do a little better on gas mileage. :clap :clap :clap

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
I now have 157k km on mine and I bought it with 110k km two years ago this march. Other than maintenance ( brakes, o2 sensors, fluids, tires) I've done my right front wheel bearing, water pump, and sway bar links and bushings and a rear coil spring.

Considering the car was neglected when I got it I don't feel that's to bad. Its been over a year since my last problem arose ( water pump). I recommend cobalts to everyone because they're cheap and reliable.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Took a drive in mine yesterday, my daughters drive it mostly, it now has 97,000Kms bought it at 23,745. It has a rebuilt title. It still runs like the day I bought it or better. I replaced both rear coil springs (they broke), fuel pressure sensor, timing chain tensionner (preventative maintenance), replaced noisy serpentine idler bearing (preventative maintenance), both end-links, (preventative maintenance) passenger side front wheel bearing (twice),replaced burnt DRL loop, repainted bottom of both front doors, repaired shifter. It's been a very good car considering that it was written "OFF" twice by previous owners.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Haven't had my cobalt as long as you guys. Just around 7 months and the only issues I've had was my gas gauge not reading correctly (fixed itself after a couple of fill ups) and had to get a new battery. Just need to get new front brakes and rotors and replace the serpentine belt and I'm all good. Much more reliable car than my civic which is good because this was my first gm vehicle and my parents have had nothing but bad luck with gm vehicles and dad thinks they are crap because he always had to pick up gm cars off the side of the road when he was a tow truck driver.

·
Registered
30 Posts
holding up

wife's cobalt was purchased in 05 with 4k miles on it . turned in lease for a larger car .. only cobalt on the lot (dealer) now has 173,950 on it and the last five days we have had a problem which is now taken care of .. tires,one brake job,one serpentine belt,one O2 senser,one tune-up,one coolant flush,one cabin filter,one set of wipers blades,I change the oil-filter every 3k miles,clean the K&N filter once a year , everything but the o2 senser is maintenance so the last 5 days are no problem . she called from work 1/9/14 to let me know the car lost power on the way to work . she travels 50 miles one way 2 work . all highway .. it would cruse at high speeds most of the way and getting off the HW it would loose power and the check eng. light came on . can't say enough for a repair shop that does diagnostic , that's there specialty . he replaced origonal plug wires , reset code and said try that .. this morning same thing (Monday) so I returned and he installed a new coil and told me if that wasn't it I could return and he would refund the $$$ for the coil .. drove it all over 2day and runs perfect .... she wants a new cruze in the spring ....... just noticed 2day vibration at 55- 60 mph ... at 65 mph it's gone ....

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Coil packs are known to go bad on 05-06. She should be good for an other 5 years now. lol Cruze is a nice choice by the way. They run very nice.

·
Registered
30 Posts
holding up

now my cobalt .. purchased it new in 07 .. traded my Silverado pick-up for the cobalt .. miss the truck but NOT THE GAS MILEAGE .. mileage 2day is 121.560 , and I do change oil every 3k miles and clean K&N air filter once a year .. last month just did the rear brakes for the first time , one set of front brakes,one serpentine belt,one cabin air filter ,tires,replaced L front wheel bearing twice, had an air diverter installed once , and thanks to this site a thermostat was replaced , wasn't getting a temp reading and some KIND forum readers helped me , and at 88k the cylinder head was replaced via dealer at no cost 2 me .... and several light bulbs which doesn't bother me ... love the gas mileage and I also will be looking for a cruze when replacement time comes ....

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Btw o2 sensor is maintenance. There's a set replacement schedule of roughly 80-100k

·
Registered
267 Posts
bit of recalls on it stering was going out...
smell of sulfur dealer is trying to pin it on bad gas use only the top ter gas station
water behind the lens GM says it has to be there for more then 2 days for it to be fixed
steering motor replaced...stupid idea there eletric steering the idoit needs to slapped silly for that diea..
breaks replaced
O2 sensor.
steering colum replaced
the gages jump around for no reason when car is off..WTH!!
and some more forgeting about it
it should be a whole new car with all that's been done to it...
had it jsut over 2yrs with 32,000 and current milage 59,000
looking to put anohter 59,000
even through I may dog GM a lot it is a good car so far

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
its the gauges coming to their resting spot after about 20 seconds with the key off (learned that from Coby7). They told my friend the smell of sulphur was nothing to worry about and I kept telling him it was his cat going bad, didn't listen and his cat fell apart about 3 months ago.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'm experiencing occasional torque converter shudder, but other than that it runs like a dream. 51k on it, and when I bought it in August it had 47k so I haven't had it for very long, but so far no complaints. It even started with no issues in the -40 weather we had here for a few days here in Ohio.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Time will tell...bought daughter an 06 LS with 133K on the clock and I'm currently working on the "remote/lock" gremlin. Lock the car w/FOB and it keeps unlocking. Already ordered the new door switches (arrive Sat) so hope this does the trick. From there, we'll see how things go...next planned upgrade is total stereo swap (factory to aftermarket).

·
Premium Member
2,068 Posts
Time will tell...bought daughter an 06 LS with 133K on the clock and I'm currently working on the "remote/lock" gremlin. Lock the car w/FOB and it keeps unlocking. Already ordered the new door switches (arrive Sat) so hope this does the trick. From there, we'll see how things go...next planned upgrade is total stereo swap (factory to aftermarket).
I got water in my door switch and it did that same thing

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
I'm experiencing occasional torque converter shudder, but other than that it runs like a dream. 51k on it, and when I bought it in August it had 47k so I haven't had it for very long, but so far no complaints. It even started with no issues in the -40 weather we had here for a few days here in Ohio.
Have you tried adding some Lucas transmission fix?

·
Registered
340 Posts
I got water in my door switch and it did that same thing

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Fixed the "door switch glitch" today and don't know if this is related, but the wire leads to these switches was "pinched" between the plastic cup and metal bracket so they were rubbing together all this time. There definitely was bare wires so I re-wrapped everything nice and tight then ensured the wiring wasn't underneath the plastic when re-installed. This was probably a factory flaw...car assembled on Friday...:blink1:

Either way, $23 for two switches and all is well...yeah!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Have you tried adding some Lucas transmission fix?
No, though I understand it's a fairly common problem, and covered under the manufacturer warranty. It hasn't happened lately, but that's likely due to the weather. If it happens again after it warms up I'm going to my dealer to see about getting it taken care of.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have an 09 LT from new. It has probably been the most trouble free car I have owned. It has 110K km and only had to do front brakes, wheel bearings , and tires. But the front speakers have crapped out. I have a work van now so the wife has stole the Cobalt for driving to work. She loves it.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.